PDA

View Full Version : Make tank stands from old furniture

Ivan
01-05-2003, 04:38 PM
Hi all, I was given a writing boutique (sp) by some next door neighbours. I was like what the heck do we want with this thing? I stuffed it into the garage and left it in the back of my mind.
At this point in time I had a 3 foot tank with angels and plants. Quite a modest set up. I also had a larger tank in the garage measuring a weird size of 43.5" x 14.5" x 21" high. I had nowhere to put it, untill I imagined all the drawers and top of the boutique missing! The thing measured 4' long 18" wide and around 4.5' tall.
Thats all I'm gonna post for now 'cos I want to get some pics to go with my little micro article hehe

Ivan
01-09-2003, 10:44 AM
Sorry for the delay, my Grand father died yesterday morning. Will finish this off soon with some pics later.
Ivan

Ralph
01-09-2003, 12:27 PM
Sorry to hear about your grandfather Ivan. Do what you have to do and come back when it's the right time for you.

BlueTurquoise
01-09-2003, 07:12 PM
So sorry to hear about your grandfather Ivan...

We are right here to help you out when you are ready.

Chong

Ivan
01-10-2003, 12:26 PM
Thanx guys! appreciated.

Ivan
01-31-2003, 01:23 PM
Ok I'm back.
So, to the tank stand. I'll have to get some pics posted later. for now tho' I can tell you what I did.
firstly I wanted to make sure it was gonna be strong enough to hold 47UK Galls, a pile of sand and Rocks. Before I could test this part I had to do some chopping!! I removed the legs (4 spindally looking things they were). Then I lopped off the top part after removing the drawers and the drop down table/cupboard door. Now what I had left was a wooden box measuring around 4' x 18" x 18" high. I put this the right way up and attempted to stand on it. Well I didn't get that far as when I put my weight onto my hands so as to put my foot on it, the "top of the box" creaked and bowed. Only a bit but it was enough to discourage me to stand on it!!!!
to strengthen it, I just used bits of the boutique I'd chopped off earlier. I measured 4 peices of wood 1/22 thick x18" x 14" I strategicaly placed these inside the tank stand and screwed them into place from the base side of the stand. I also screwed thinner pices of wood measuring 14" x 1/2" x 1/2" into the base and the supports. To make sure they wern't going anywhere. After this I was confident to stand on it, with my Brother My Father and my friend. This is one strong tank stand. I then painted it with Ronseal paint and grain, In antique pine. It looks quite good for a rushed job. But you'l have to wait for the pics I'm affraid. :'(
Anyway, it's good to be back!

Ralph
01-31-2003, 02:13 PM
Glad to have you back.
I use the term "recycling" and most of what I own (except my stereo) was preused by someone else. It takes some adaptation sometimes along with a little creativity but I am often amazed by my alley finds. Two of my tanks are mounted on high strength plastic milk crate set ups. I'm sure they don't look as good as your stand but they are strong and provide tons of shelving. If the look bothered me, I could easily put a cloth cover over them.
Anyways, looking forward to the photos.

Ivan
01-31-2003, 02:33 PM
Thanx Ralph, photo's are immenent.
Now where did I put that frickin camera........

Denny
01-31-2003, 09:55 PM
hey ivan

there is nothing wrong with a little yankee creativity, even if you aren't a yankee ;D

denny

p.s accept my condolences about your grandfather. :(

Ivan
02-12-2003, 01:29 PM
Here you can see how the thing looks.

Ivan
02-12-2003, 01:31 PM
Here's where it gets clever.

Ivan
02-12-2003, 01:33 PM
some of these pics aren't great,but you should have seen what I've deleted!!!

This is an atempted close up of the supports on the left side. The fake drawers removed.

Ivan
02-12-2003, 01:36 PM
In the above pic I tried to gain more distribution of weight onto the supports by placing one of the supports on an angle.

This pic shows the true colour of the boutique as was. That peice used for the support was part of the top.

Ivan
02-12-2003, 01:42 PM
Here you can see what I did to the drawes.

Ivan
02-12-2003, 01:46 PM
So there you go.
Next I'll be posting pics of my newly aquired wild Madiera blues. But i'll have to go look for the camera again as someone has run off with it again!!! >:(

Ralph
02-12-2003, 06:23 PM
Hi Ivan,
When you said recycled furniture, I got this image of something like my set up. But that first picture looks like you bought it. Nice work.

Maybe you could mount the drawer fronts on a thin flat piece and mount it on hinges on the left side. It would open as a unit. Just an idea.

My milk crates suddenly look pretty bad.

BlueTurquoise
02-13-2003, 06:07 PM
Wow Ivan,

Nice job on the setup! :o I love the false drawers! neat! looks liek a purpose build unit!

Chong

Ivan
02-13-2003, 07:13 PM
Get on with you! your just sayin that hehe.
I see what you mean rolph, but I can't be bothered. I think it would make it easier to get into there for my test kits tho' I might just....