PDA

View Full Version : Continuous Egg laying

Chaos
01-06-2003, 06:45 PM
My new pairs keep laying eggs. The first pair, after loosing their first batch to rummy's and a flying fox started to lay eggs two days after the loss. My other pair who just layed eggs two days ago started to clean another site while attending to current set of eggs. Is this normal?

The other 4 tank mates just paired up and are also looking for a place to lay. At this point, I don't know if any of my pairs are real.

I am totally not prepared.

Here is a link to my other post with pics. I am video taping them this time.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=5810

BlueTurquoise
01-06-2003, 06:55 PM
Hey Chaos,

Nice tank by the way! congrats on the laying! means you've done very well to keep them happy!

Erm if you are serious about getting wrigglers and successfully raising the babies I'd have to advise that you move the pairs into their own separate tanks. Otherwise just leave them be and nature will take it's course, but I very much doubt your success rate if you choose to let them be. After you move they may even stop laying so there is a small risk involved I'd say...

I'd wait for some more experienced people to answer this for you and you may be right, my pair were not "real" either and the eggs that were laid were never fertilized, all 6 or so times that they layed.

Good luck! I hope things turn out for your fish!
Chong

by the way, discus only lay when you are totally not prepared, it's just the way it is LOL ;D ;)

BlueTurquoise
01-06-2003, 06:58 PM
Oops one more thing, depending on what is more difficult, you can also try removing other tank inhabitants to another location instead of moving the pairs... not sure if this is suitable for you esp since you have a planted tank, but it should be ok esp if you find in the next couple of days you get wrigglers...

Anyway good luck!

Chaos
01-06-2003, 07:10 PM
Oh no!! I've got wigglers and new eggs at the same time with the same pair. :o ;D :o ;D :o :o :o :o

EthanCote.com
01-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Geez I have read alot of posts where ppl are constantly complaining about their fish spawning and they are not ready for them to spawn, or that they kept on spawning and eating their eggs, etc...

Well ppl, get over it!!! I wish I was in your shoe ;D

Dam (errr can I say dam on here?), my puny Discus are not yet at that stage where I can join the complain about them constantly eating their eggs ;)

So Chaos, gl with them wigglers and enjoy your pairs.

Cheers,

Chi.

01-06-2003, 10:41 PM
if the eggs hatch and become wigglers they'll probably eat the first batch of wigglers....i've been playing that very same game now for a few weeks ;D i'm hoping that the current spawn will meet with their approval(as far as size) and they'll decide to raise them.... :)

BlueTurquoise
01-07-2003, 01:31 AM
Sounds like you have discus phsychology 101 in the bag ;D

Chong

01-07-2003, 01:42 AM
not even close...i thought they would raise the last batch...
my buddy dan was over for coffee last week, and he said "hey, isn't the female starting to lay eggs again???"....so i madly sucked water out and added RO water to lower my parameters, and it's the most successful hatchout i've had yet....i'm hoping to get to the next stage this time, if only to see what the fry might grow into...the parents are pretty "different"... ;)