PDA

View Full Version : What meds do I need?

NickK
01-06-2003, 11:30 PM
My tanks are almost cycled, and I am almost (hopefully) ready to add my first batch of ~ 20 discus. This is my first serious crack at raising discus, and I currently do not have any meds. I'm assuming there is a basic list of things I should order - just to be ready. Any help?

Thanks,
Nick

Carol_Roberts
01-07-2003, 12:15 AM
Metronidazole, epsom salt, and regular salt (kosher, pickling, rock etc)
Carol :heart1:

NickK
01-07-2003, 12:20 AM
Thanks, Carol. Where can I find the Metronidazole? What is it used to treat? Also, what is the difference between epsom salt and regular salt?

Thanks,
Nick

Carol_Roberts
01-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Epsom salt is Magnesium sulfate. It is used as a foot soak for people (among other things). If your fish is constipated and bloated it will soften the stool.

Regular salt is sodium chloride and we add it to four food for enhanced flavor and to our fish tank to help with gill function, kill parasites and fungus.

Metro is for internal intestinal flagellates. Discus quit eating, hide in corner, white stringy feces.

Carol :heart1:

roger
01-07-2003, 01:11 AM
You might be able to add prazi to your shopping list.
Its good for tapeworms and gill flukes.

Peace,
Roger

01-07-2003, 11:42 AM
Nick, Be advised all meds have an expiration date and should be storedaway from high heat and humidity ( aka fishroom ) aquarium Salt is good to have on hand. Take care, Joe ;)

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-07-2003, 02:01 PM
Nick
I personally wouldn't buy any meds unless you need them.
But I would get the salt, I preffer the sea salt for salt water aquariums even though it is more exspensive, as I feel it has other good things in it.
With new fish I would raise the tank temp to 90 degrees and use one table spoon of salt for every ten gallons of water. Use the higher temp and salt for the first ten days.
This will relieve stress, stimulate appeitite, and prevent any infections from starting. Small fish become very stressed from being shipped or moved.
Good luck
Dennis

01-07-2003, 02:20 PM
I agree with Everyone,

But as You know I must Give My honest opinion.

IME its the bigger discus that ship bad and are more stressed
after shippment. I have never had many problems with 2.5" shipped or received only larger discus.

Also am not to sure about adding salt to a discus tank after shippment. IMO if they are packed and shipped well I believe its not needed.

Good Deal Roger, You will have problems with flukes so might as-well grab it now more so with smaller discus then large.

HTH You Be the best You can Be!
Cary Gld! ;D