PDA

View Full Version : Your Water Change Method

BlueTurquoise
01-07-2003, 01:53 AM
Hi,

Not sure if this has been done before I was wondering how many different ways people go about their daily/weekly water changes. We know how much water changes people do, what type of tap water it is but how many of you are doing the back breaking work and how many of you have fuly automated, failsafe systems that we should all be envyous of?

Myself I am somewhere between Pythons, hoses, buckets and pumps with my 4 ft tank and 2 ft tank.. I would like a drip system or a partially automated system, that would be nice on my back!

Post what your every day method is so maybe I and others can get better water change ideas.

Cheers!
Chong

hunterbeav
01-07-2003, 02:24 AM
You left one out, python from sink to tank!!!!! :)

Smokey
01-07-2003, 03:23 AM
You also forgot pump in , pump out.
My system is self cleaning, BB. Twice a day I wipe the interior of the tank. Any and all fine debre is sucked out, into a pre-filter( which I change after every feeding), before the water returns to the sump/filters.
To change water I open one valve, the water is pumped out by the sump/tank pump. To fill, I have a seperate pump in the storage tank. Or, if the stored water is slightly cooler, I just let it slowly drip/syphon into the tank sump. I do have a 2.5" overflow fitting on the sump.

Good Luck with your system, Chong

Smokey

ReeferKimberly
01-07-2003, 03:25 AM
ok dumb question....what is a python. is that a siphon brand er something? i use a pump from sink to tank and vise versa. i don't have storage water but i still don't have water problems.

Smokey
01-07-2003, 03:34 AM
Howdy ham; Python, is a brand name product. It consists of a lenght of hose; 25-50ft., a tap.valve adapter and a large plastic pipe- 2.5 O.D. The idea is to attach the tap adapter to a faucet, turn on the water and depending on whether you want to empty or fill the aquarium; a valve is opened/closed. The action of the flowing tap water will syphon water from a tank. Close the valve, and the tap water will flow into the aquarium/storage container. Pretty simple !Cheaper than a electric pump. If you don't mind dragging it out every day and setting it up to use.

Steve_Warner
01-07-2003, 03:38 AM
Hi all,
Ham, a python(brand name) is an OVERPRICED length of vinyl/silicon tubing with some attachments/valves connected to it(IMO). I buy all my hoses and such at an industrial hose supply house for pennies a length foot! The attachments are easy to fabricate yourself. Many peolpe use them to siphon/drain/fill tanks and such. Just my opinion.

Steve

Jason
01-07-2003, 04:55 AM
I use a "python" to drain and fill a tank thats in my bedroom, made it myself with hose and fittings from the hardware store and a waterbed pump from walmart

BlueTurquoise
01-07-2003, 07:01 AM
Smokey, that would be Python and hoses, pumps involved ;D cmon use your imagination! lol hehe

Yeah I am looking into water change methods atm. My pump didn't arrive (although i paid for express, next day delivery, duh!)

Check out my plans in DIY tread and let me know what you think... muahaha that would be the ultimate setup for me lol

Chong

01-07-2003, 09:55 AM
Life is soooooo much easier with a pump ;)

I used to do the bucket brigade until it was taking too long with the additional tanks. I syphon my tanks out of the windows ( into the gardens below ) and use a pump in a barrel to refill most tanks and a python to the bathroom sink to fill others ;)

Beth

ReeferKimberly
01-08-2003, 02:49 AM
ok then i guess i have the basic same thing as a python. i got it for christmas. it hooks up to the tank and it either drains or fills the tank depending on whether or not the drain vlave is opened. it has this little switch so i can turn it off w/out even going to the sink. i also love it b/c it cuts out the siphon and i can move it from tank to tank w/out losing the suction. i have 6 tanks in my tiny little bedroom ranging from a 5 gallon up to two 55 gallons (and no carpet or floor space). it cut my wc time down to less them 10 minutes!
kim

ReeferKimberly
01-08-2003, 02:50 AM
hey same here....i lived with no screen on my window for half my life. the calililies under my window sure were happy though!