PDA

View Full Version : The best way to remove algae

ChienHsu
01-07-2003, 03:48 PM
Hi!

I just want some suggestions how to remove algae?

I see many products which claim to remove algae (such as: Algaefix, Algae Destroyer...). Does anyone use any of them and what is your comments?

Thanks

Chien

01-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Chien, nope dont use them, why add something to your tank when you dont have to....I use a paper towel or a sponge to remove any algae buildup......if it gets that bad I use a razorblade to clean the tank if it is made of glass

Randy

RAWesolowski
01-08-2003, 02:35 AM
Amano shrimp.

ronrca
01-08-2003, 06:54 PM
The best way with fish and/or plants in your plant is an algae crew (that may mean your hands and a scrubber as well). If you have plants, more ferts (ironic but it works). If you have no plants, I have tried velvet guard by Jungle. Algae is gone (so are plants, I tried)!

More tips;
increased lighting intensity, decreased lighting duration (depending on the duration at present), sometimes increase CO2 injection, etc

Adding chemicals to kill algae I would not otherwise recommend (that does go for the Velvet also which I probably will not use again).

ChienHsu
01-09-2003, 05:08 PM
Thanks. I think I can not be lazy anymore. I also may take out the airstone to decrease O2 level.

Chien