PDA

View Full Version : Swelling discus - Help !!

nicefishman
01-08-2003, 08:46 AM
Hi, I recently bought two royal dimond from a local pet store. They were eating fine until a week ago, one stop eating and it's belly seems to be swelling. It also swims under the right under the surface alot. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated ! ???

Jerry

jeep
01-08-2003, 09:46 AM
Hi,

Can you provide more information? Water quality, filtration, other fish in the tank, what kinds of food, etc...

Could be bloated from dry foods expanding in their belly. Epsom salts can relieve something like that.

Go to this thread, cut/paste and try to answer these questions http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=1082

Francisco_Borrero
01-08-2003, 09:50 AM
Sounds to me as if your fish has an intestinal/stomach obstruction. Sometimes an internal bacterial infection (often but not always related to an obstruction) has similar symptoms.
If it were me, I would start by adding Epson salts to the tank ASAP. Often people recommend dosages like 1 teaspoon/10gal. I have had rapid success with 1 tablespoon/10gal, and no ill effects on the fish.
The one thing I would be concerned, is that you indicated it has already been a week. If an obstruction or infection is in place, 1 week is a long time. Thus, if rapid improvement is not seen (my guess is maximum of 2 days), I would seriously consider an antibiotic, but I have not experience on which is best for that. Hopefully somebody can provide a specific recommendation.
Good luck and let us know of your progress.
Cheers, Francisco.

nicefishman
01-08-2003, 11:16 AM
Hi,

where can you get the epsom salt ?

Jerry

nicefishman
01-08-2003, 11:20 AM
By the way, I feed them with brine shrimp and colorbits, bare bottom with some pot plants. 30 Gal high, two discus and 2 Chinese algae eaters.

jeep
01-08-2003, 11:20 AM
grocery store, drug store etc... People use it to soak their feet so it's in the pharmacy section...

I agree with Francisco. The best way to deal with discus illnesses is to jump right on it. It may not be a bad idea to treat with Kanacyn or pennicillan if you don't see a quick improvement.

keno
01-08-2003, 11:23 AM
I use the color bits too, but be carefull, if the fish gorge themselves on it they will get blockage, a lot of people presoak the color bits first.

Ken

Francisco_Borrero
01-08-2003, 12:28 PM
I looked at your post again and noticed you mentioned 2 chinese algae eaters. You need to loose those, at least take them out of the discus tank.
They don't do anything about algae and is a matter of time until they will do the discus. It may already been happening.
Cheers, Francisco.