PDA

View Full Version : Prazi and catfish

Ann
01-08-2003, 09:08 AM
Hi all I just have a question about praziquantel in a discus tank. My discus have been rubbing their gills on objects in their tank the last day or so and I suspect gill flukes. I have prazi on hand to treat them ( I have been planning on worming them but have not got around to it yet so will do two things at once) but would just like to know if any one knows the side effects to corydora catfish and bristlenose cats. If I remove them before treatment will they reinfect the discus when I return them to the tank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ann :D

Wahter
01-28-2003, 02:05 PM
Ann, I've treated some Queen arabesque (hypancistrus sp.) pl*cos with prazi and I didn't notice any ill effects on them during nor after treatment.

Hope this helps.

Walter

BlueTurquoise
01-28-2003, 07:01 PM
Ann,

the last time my fish were scratching and itching I tried prazi but to no effect. In fact one of my fish seemed to be over dosed (swam around like it was drunk) and still the darkenning of colour, loss of appetite and scratches still appeared.

The only thing i did to get rid of it was salt (3 tablespoons per 10 galon, slowly added) and raised the tank temp to 32 degrees C for 3-5 days. Then everything was well again. Not sure if your pleco's will like the elevated temps though...

I just thought I'd let you know that prazi may not be the answer to your problem...

Chong