PDA

View Full Version : What "tricks" do you use ...

JeffreyRichard
01-08-2003, 11:12 AM
... to encourage discus to spawn? I heard about using lower water temperature during water changes ... what else do you folks use?

I read an article on Planet Catfish about a trick used to get catfish to spawn ... the author used water from a tank where a group of easy-to-spawn Corydoras Aeneus were spawning, and used it to fill a tank with a colony of wild corys ... the group began spawning shortly after the water change. The author, who acquired this trick from Scott sanderson @ Oodles of Angels, claims the hormones in the water from the one spawning group can actually trigger spawning in a different group. Has anyone tried this with discus?

roger
01-08-2003, 11:19 AM
There have been several people who have said that is something that they have seen as well. There is also a product available thats supposed to do the same thing.

I have heard of several people using the water temp trick to get a pair of fish to start laying eggs again if they stop.

Ive also heard someone mention that slowly lowering pH to the 4ish range then bringing it back up will cause the same reaction.

I believe that both of those methods are designed to simulate a rainy season where the water cools off and the pH goes up.

Mine wont stop laying eggs at the moment (I may have gotten my 1st wrigglers today) so I havent resorted to any of these tactics yet.

Peace,
Roger

RichieE
01-08-2003, 01:31 PM
Jeff, The first time I used Discus Essential two fish paired off and spawned. Ive been useing it ever since (8 months) but I havent been able to duplicate the results. Wouldnt it be great if it was that easy all the time. Rich

fcdiscus
01-08-2003, 02:30 PM
I have usually found a few larger than normal water changes to do the trick. Like 50% WC with perfect but slightly cooler water. Frank

RichieE
01-08-2003, 03:00 PM
Hi Frank. Cold water has the opposite affect on me. Thats a "trick" my wife uses. ;D Rich