PDA

View Full Version : New Tank

Karl
01-08-2003, 11:54 AM
I am going to build a tank with size 48"(W)x30"(H)X18"(D) using glass with 3/8 inches thickness. I am going to drill 2 holes for dripping and W/C. Is the tank safe with the above factors?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Karl

spartyblaze
01-08-2003, 02:20 PM
Karl, I think the tank you are describing has the same measurments as most store bought ones of the same gallon capacity, which is a good plan to go with. Normally many DIY tank builders experience problems when they try to build an oddly sized tank that doesn't account for the amount of pressure that contained water applies to its walls. As for the drip holes, I don't think they should be a problem, just be careful to have them drilled by a professional or use a high quality bit as to not crack the glass you are working with.

PS are you using tempered or standard 3/8" glass?
Good luck!

mikeos
01-08-2003, 03:56 PM
please confirm the direction of your measurements, 48" across the front (length), 30 " top to bottom ( height/depth) 18" front to back (width)

If this is correct then for 30" deep you should be using 1/2" glass,
see this link

http://www.garf.org/Tank/BuildTank.asp

Also gives cut sizes & other info

mike

Aquarius
01-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Also, think of the hiegth factor. I have a 110 that I'm changing over to house some Discus, and it is a bear at that height!

I'd much rather have a tank that is 24" in hight or less.

-steve

limige
01-08-2003, 06:47 PM
it all depends on the type of glass i think? there are different grades and strengths right?

i visited john k in toronto and his 180 has 7/8 thick glass on it. my 190 is built from 3/8.

that web page is cool, thanks for the link, it does say 3/8 for my tank.

when you go as high as 30" you probably will need 1/2" glass.

imo
mike

Karl
01-08-2003, 10:23 PM
Thanks everyone for the reply. I am going to take the advice and change the height of the tank to 24". This tank is for my mom and she is not that tall.

I am going to use standard 3/8" glass and the holes will be drilled by a professional tank builder. Is it safe to drill 2 holes on one side? I've heard that after drilling holes, the glass will become easily breakable.

Karl