PDA

View Full Version : Discus Preparing to Breed Woe's

Kent
01-09-2003, 01:51 AM
Well my two big guys have been AGRESSIVELY cleaning my filter intake. They have also been both aggressively beating up on each other and then turn around and shake like crazy at each other.

Now, I have absolutely zero experience on the breeding of Discus AND I think my two big guys are in fact male. Also my little Discus is getting caught in the collateral damage.

So, is breeding like behaviour exactly what I am experiencing?

AND will adding a couple of Discus help out my little guy or the situation at large?

Thanks in advance!

larry lob
01-09-2003, 05:46 AM
Hi,

I have heard of fish that "like it rough" but never had any.
as for vigorously pecking at a filter, glass or pot and shaking at each other then yes it is signs, but how old are they, what are they and what water are they in?

also more fish do dilute individual harrasment but not always.
A breeding pair will chase other fish from thier area agressivly.

HTH

Larry

Carol_Roberts
01-09-2003, 05:39 PM
Take the third little fish out unless you can be there 24/7 to supervise.
Carol :heart1:

Kent
01-10-2003, 12:00 AM
Well I came home tonight to find my Discus spawning.(You were right Larry) I now know my one Discus now to be female. (Bottom Discus in the PIC) :o

I had no intention to breed them originally,(which is why I have them in community) but this does now pique my interest. :)

Although she laid close to a hundred eggs, there was only a dozen left at lights out. Everytime the parent(s)? would go for a little frolic, one of their tankmates came by for a tasty snack. By the time they realized what was going on, there was only a few left. (Which she is now fanning and aggresssively guarding)

I don't expect anything out of this spawn, but I am beginning to think I might put them in a breeder tank and see what happens.

You never know. ;)

P.S...More photos... ;D
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=5910

Carol_Roberts
01-11-2003, 06:28 PM
Let them practise a few more time in the community tank and then move them to their own 29 gallon if you want fry to survive.

Kent
01-12-2003, 01:23 AM
Thanks Carol. You have confirmed what was just recommended to me by my lfs.

But here now is another possibility. I think both may be female! On Friday night after work I came home and my daughter pointed out another clutch of eggs. This time on my powerhead.

So. Do I wait a few more spawns and then move them to a breeder as suggested anyway? I figure if I do this then I can definately find out if they are both females or not. (Since they may spawn again while I am working and may be unable to observe.)

If they are female do I wait a few months for my Juvenile to mature and see what happens with that? OR add a couple more Discus to the fray and hope for the best?

Decisions, decisions!

P.S... All three are schooling again today as if nothing happened! lol

Carol_Roberts
01-12-2003, 11:52 PM
Females do mature faster than males and it's been known for two females to practice laying eggs together. I'd wait and see if one is male before moving them.

Kent
01-13-2003, 05:15 PM
Thanks again Carol. I will definately wait!

Of course now the temptaion I am desperately trying to fight off is picking up some silver dollar sized Disucs just in at my lfs. (Cobalts/Turquoise/Powder Blue) Sheesh. ::)

But you are right, I will wait. :)

Carol_Roberts
01-13-2003, 10:12 PM
Don't fill your tanks up with LFS discus. Save your room for the baby discus YOU will be having soon ;)

larry lob
01-14-2003, 12:48 PM
hi,

Wellllll there is another way to know if they are a pair........
next time you get eggs screen them with a mesh and see if they are fertile or if they all go white. (assuming they lay somewhere that can be screened)
this measure is purly to allow the eggs to show b4 they are eaten.

then if a pair let them spawn 4 times more in the tank they are in and hoist them out to thier new love nest!

don't forget things like hardness and temp can affect fertalization.

Larry

Kent
02-02-2003, 08:03 PM
Thanks Everyone.

Well they have spawned for the third time. I now know definately my Big blue is female. I am still unsure about the partner! These eggs lasted about 40 hours and suddenly they were gone! So at least I know the parenting skills are developing.

Only about half the laid eggs were white after 36 hours so there may yet be hope for a male?

Larry, I may just go with you suggestion, but since they are laying on the powerhead, it would be a sinch just to move the whole unit, eggs and all to quarantine.

Thanks again!

larry lob
02-03-2003, 05:46 AM
Hi,

If you move the whole unit there are a couple of things to concider.
Make sure the water they are going into is the main tanks water, carry out water changes taking water from the main tank to the hospital tank, and put a small fine bubble air stone infront of the eggs to creat a low current as if the parents are fanning. you could always transfer one parent with the eggs if the hatch just to see what happens.

HTH

Larry