PDA

View Full Version : White patches, need help

aloha_discus
01-09-2003, 10:54 AM
Aloha , I have a total of 8 discus in a 72gal tank and all are affected with white blotches. My question is will melaffix help cure this problem? The tank is planted and w/c are done everyother day. I have tried Furanase on the first ill discus and he is not showing any difference. Also tried salt at 2tbs per gal. Now should I increase the w/c and salt or do I continue with Furanase, or melafix?

Mahalo for Help, Ike & Anne ;D

Francisco_Borrero
01-09-2003, 11:42 AM
IMO it could be many things. Some people have had good results using melafix with various things. For myself, I have not yet decided whether it works any better than water changes, salt, temp manipulation, or combinations of those.

For the white patches I would continue to use salt. For how long have you applied salt ? Have you seen improvement ? It could be a bacterial infection, and thus, an antibiotic would be needed. Melafix might help the overall scenario but I don't thing that will cure anything itself.
Good luck, Francisco.

Carol_Roberts
01-09-2003, 05:34 PM
White patches - like scrapes or fungus or columnaris? Have you added any new fish? personally I've new had any luck with melafix - maybe it works better in soft water . . .
CArol :heart1:

aloha_discus
01-11-2003, 01:56 PM
Aloha, I have added salt for the last three days with a 50% w/c and it is getting worse. I have tried the melafix also with no results. The patches are larger and discus are now huddled together in the corner at the top of the tank. I am going to try and use furanase, any thoughts on the outcome using this. I have tried it on new arrivals and it brought them out of the discus disease. Any loss of discus will be a sad occassion this tank is stocked with potential breeding adults that are least 6 inch fish. Any help or suggestions is extremely appreciated.

Mahalo Ike :-[

Carol_Roberts
01-11-2003, 03:36 PM
Hi Ike:

Chilodonella
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=1077;sta rt=0

Does this look like it?

Carol :heart1:

jeep
01-11-2003, 04:30 PM
Ike, Don't count too much on melifix for your particular problem. It's best used for very minor abraisions or fin damage and has worked for me after fungus has set in on damaged fins, but it is very mild and more of a tonic.

Salt is your best bet until someone can identify your problem.

aloha_discus
01-12-2003, 01:35 AM
Aloha Carol, ues that is exactly what it looks like. I would like to thank you, jeep, and Francisco for your quick responses.

Mahalo Ike ;D

Ardan
01-12-2003, 09:22 AM
HI,
If it is a parasite like Chilodonella, then high heat will kill it. 93F for up to 10 days.
Watch for secondary infection/fungus.

hth
Ardan :sun:

aloha_discus
01-12-2003, 11:14 AM
Aloha Ardan, I have started treatment which included raising the temp.

Mahalo Ike ;D

jjf
01-29-2003, 11:26 PM
i seem to be having the same problem i was treating it with furacyn would that help

can i add salt to this now?

Ardan
02-01-2003, 03:54 PM
Hi ,
I believe furacyn may help with secondary infections, not necessarily with a parasite.
Heat , 94F usually helps kill parasites.
Salt can help too. noniodized up to 1 tblsp / gal. It can be mixed with furacyn, if the furacyn is helping.

hth

02-02-2003, 02:29 AM
Ike, If you haven't already done so--turn out the lights over the tank. I sincerely hope you are not treating your fish in the planted tank???? Joe

aloha_discus
02-02-2003, 11:11 AM
Aloha Joe, I am no longer having problems with my discus. I moved them into a 45g hospital tank and continued using furanase for about 4 weeks. They have all survived and are doing well. I brokedown my planted tank and redid everything. I have 2 pairs now from that tank. I thank all of you very much.

Aloha Ike ;D

02-02-2003, 12:03 PM
Ike, I always like a happy ending Joe :D