PDA

View Full Version : Rookie help needed!!!

KEVINT
01-09-2003, 11:57 PM
i do water changes daily and i have Ammonia and nitrate in my water, how would i go about getting rid of it and keeping it out of my tank.
My tap doesnt have any ammonia. so could someone help
Thanks for the help.

brewmaster15
01-10-2003, 12:08 AM
Hi Kevin,
If you are getting ammonia readings in the tank, then that means your Biological filter isn't working right. How long has the tank been cycled?

Often times, if you add a lot of new fish to a tank that only had a few fish, it takes a while for the biofilter to catch up to the increased waste made by the fish, and additional feedings.

Post some more info on the filter, tanks size and occupant history if you can.
hth, al

KEVINT
01-10-2003, 12:41 AM
al
i have a 55 gallon with 7 fish in it. it is run by a aqua clear 300 and a sponge filters.

P.S. Thanks for the help with my pair they are eating and doing fine.

brewmaster15
01-10-2003, 12:53 AM
Glad to hear it Kevin!

As for this tank with the ammonia, I think you need to add more biofiltration, or give the ones you have a cahnce to catch up.

Until they do be sure that you remove any wastes , preferably after each feeding. Don't over feed.

Don't sqeeze out the sponges too often, just when needed. Put a prefilter on the ac300 if there isn'et one already. This you can clean as many times a day as you like.

if the ammonia is really bad, up you water changes , go am and pM. Ammolock may also help until the tank is established better, but I lean towards more water changes.

hth,
al

KEVINT
01-10-2003, 01:02 AM
THANKS AGAIN AL