PDA

View Full Version : Best way to Cull..

Nigel
01-10-2003, 05:17 AM
Hi Guys,
With every Breeder, comes a time when he or she runs out of tank space. The only way to get by is to make sure that the tanks are utilized at a 100%. In times like this, culling is necessary. What method of culling is recommended. The poll gives some options that I have come across people using. I prefer a more humane way of doing it. Can you let me know your preferences and describe the method you use.
Thanks/Nigel

roger
01-10-2003, 09:40 AM
I live on a small lake that has spotted gar (upto 3ft) and large mouth bass in it. I like having a "natural" tank with one or two of those in it.

My fish are just now getting to the breeding stage eggs and finally wrigglers (got eaten in community tank). I have a little time to go before I have to go out and catch my cull disposal system.

Peace,
Roger

fcdiscus
01-10-2003, 12:47 PM
Scissors- Very quick and painless- just behind the head! Frank

ronrca
01-10-2003, 03:15 PM
:o :o :o :o

Frank! No! Yuck! :o :P

I submerge into boiling water! :-\

lkleung007
01-10-2003, 03:34 PM
Just as I suspected; there is just no good way to cull :-[

Never had to do this, but I heard that freezing is the most humane way...don't really know.

Regards, Lester

fcdiscus
01-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Yes, For larger fish, Freezing. But sorry, the guillotine is the fasted and most humane way! Sounds terrible, but..... Frank

jklnbrg
01-10-2003, 06:45 PM
Yes, For larger fish, Freezing. But sorry, the guillotine is the fasted and most humane way! Sounds terrible, but..... Frank

Frank,
I thought we were going to experment with my new outdoor pond I'm building. Culls = Fish that can get eaten by skunks, birds, racoons, the nieghbor's cat, etc without losing a valuable fish ;D

fcdiscus
01-10-2003, 08:55 PM
Yes John- That is my next batch. The current bunch - well, sorry, but to late! ;) Frank