PDA

View Full Version : Reds ... Need More Clarification

JeffreyRichard
01-10-2003, 12:33 PM
Yes, I've asked the question(s) before in a different manner, but I'm still not clear ... ??? ??? ???

Can one of use (you, for the non-Rhodeislanders) explain BROWN vs ALEQUER vs ROSE RED/VIRGIN RED vs RED MELLON vs RED DOLL vs MARLBORO RED ... I'm so confused :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

It would be great to know what TYPICALLY defines each of these names, what they throw for offspring varieties, and what the (probable) genetics are.

How about including pictures of each variety :o :o :o

What are the favs of the viewing audience?

Thanks

Jeff

01-10-2003, 01:19 PM
Jeff: Let's see, So many questions. Cary can correct me if I’m wrong. The ancestor of all Discus were originated form the Brown Discus, (One down). In order to sound more knowledgeable , people put the name of the region where the discus were caught. Most used the name Alenquer for Brown Discus. The truth is Alenquer is a city. There’s no discus can be found.(Two Down). Brown Discus sometimes throw some fry without bars. That’s the Ghost. They have blue form(Purple ghost) and white form of ghost. (Snow White). The throw backs from the purple ghost has very thick and prominent bars. Those with the red fins with very thick bars are called Rose Red. (3 down). Without bars with red fins are San Merah.
When Kitti developed the Pigeon Blood strain from the Red Alenquer. They were very heavy black dust all over, very dirty at the very beginning. After years of selective breeding,. those Pigeon Blood with less peppering with red body are called Marlboro Red(4 down) Those with less red are more on the yellow side, They were called Virgin Red(5 down) Most of the Marlboro Red has black fins. Some may develop Red Fins are called Red Melon.(6 down) They are more refined with only a few peppering or completely clean. They are the cream of the crop. What else?. Red doll(7 down) is like Red Melon with black fins. Also the top of the line. I’ve answered the best I can. HTH.
Jimmy.

Ralph
01-10-2003, 01:26 PM
The problem is that there is no control over the naming of strains. Basically a breeder or importer can call them anything they want and for that matter, so can the dealer. Sometimes it is marketing, sometimes lack of knowledge, but mainly it is people passing on info that they heard, whether it is right or wrong.

Good post JimmyL

allan_mark76
01-10-2003, 02:35 PM
;D ;D ;D ;DGood post JimmyL :o :o :o :o

A-

redlines
01-10-2003, 03:15 PM
Jimmy did a great job with his answer.

While most of my red fish are still juvies I will attach a nice picture of my Red Dolls.

I also have young mellons and some of Mike's F1 reds that I am growing out too.

redlines
01-10-2003, 03:25 PM
Here is a pic of one of the F1 Reds (Santarem X Alenquer) It is only 4 inches in this pic and has not fully developed it's color yet

redlines
01-10-2003, 03:25 PM
Here is a pic of the F1 Red next to a MellonX that I also got frome Mike.

daninthesand
01-10-2003, 03:30 PM
Just out of curiosity the name Marlborough Red was apparently coined form the cigarette brand Red package with white on one end. The Asians are very familliar with this brand as it is quite popular there. Then name stuck. I have no authoritative source for this information. Just heard it through the grape vine...maybe someone can correct me ;D

Daniel

01-12-2003, 01:19 AM
Daniel, You are correct. Marlboro is Kitti's cigarette brand of choice.

Joe