PDA

View Full Version : Importing during Winter

NickK
01-10-2003, 02:10 PM
Has anyone here ever imported during the winter? Right now the temps are around 15-40 degrees. Can they survive this?

Also, how long are these fish actually in the bag - from export to arrival? I think the plane ride is probably around 24 hours (Asia?? - Chicago).

Thanks,

Nick

Jeff
01-10-2003, 09:20 PM
Nick,

Most asian breeders will pack the fish with heat packs so they will be ok. If they are packed well they will easily survive 40+ hours. Talk to the breeder and see if they have shipped that far before. Also ask if they have live arrival guarnatee.

01-10-2003, 09:28 PM
Jeff, heat packs last about 12 hours!! :o. That said, I have no problem getting my orders in . Nick is underguesstimating the time. With flight transfers, the flight alone would be around 26-30 hours. Bag up the night before---all things told--my fish reach their tanks in around 50 hours after the first one is netted in Penang if everything goes well. Then put away 500+ pcs. Pizza Night! Joe ;D

01-11-2003, 01:40 AM
Know your breeder and shipper well!!!

Miles

Jeff
01-11-2003, 02:30 AM
Wow. That is a long time. The heat packs die at 12 hours? I thought some lasted longer.

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-11-2003, 03:01 AM
You can get heat packs that last up to 60 hours, I only ship with in the USA but I still use 36 hour heat packs in case a flight is missed.
Dennis

01-11-2003, 01:42 PM
It Don't matter if there 88Hr heat packs NO hole NO Heat!

Asain's rarely use them! ;D

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-11-2003, 03:38 PM
Cary
I think you are wrong, no air no heat , no hole no air.
Dennis

fossil
01-11-2003, 04:27 PM
I read some where that heat packs are not to increase the temp but keep heat loss at a low. I mean think about if your breeder puts them in some kind of an foam box (like cheap foam coolers-$2.00)the temp. should not change if packaged right. Most just put the heat packs in there to make the person getting the fish feel a little better.

-I'm not sure if I totally agree with that but I'm sure I read it on some site. ???

I would try to find out how your breeder packages them.
In some cases buying in the winter could be a plus, I'm not sure about discus but most tropical fish go into a deep sleep if temp is low. This shuts down almost all systems-heart rate slows way down. If fish are not in this state for too long of a period they should do fine. This deep sleep puts less stress on the fish because all it is really doing is breathing there for NOT totally aware of its happenings.

Remember this is just what I read HTH :)

01-11-2003, 06:23 PM
Hi Dennis

Dam you Got Me! LOL :-\

You Know what I mean Right :P LOL!

01-12-2003, 12:09 AM
Dennis & Jeff, Cary is right on both counts. Heat packs are oxygen activated and rely on a constant source of oxygen to continue to work. If there is no hole placed for the heat pack to be in contact with the outside air--it will cease to function.
And he is also correct in saying that Asians rarely use heat packs.
In my particular situation, The fish are taken to the airport quite a bit before departure time. The plane then goes to Kuala Lampur ( a one hour flight with a five hour layover )The flight connection from KL to the states takes around 23 --26 hours depending on the always present headwind to Newark, New Jersey. Then it takes approximately 1 1/2 hours to unload the plane--then I get the manifest and other paperwork and proceed to customs . That takes about 10 minutes if there is no one ahead of me in line of only one customs officer. I then drive home in 3 1/2 --4 1/2 hours. Then the fun begins! Unloading the usual 35-40 styros--( about an hour ) Placing 400+ discus in the tanks is time consuming. This has taken me 10-12 hours. ( more time with bigger fish )
My point is--that when the heat packs would be operative --the fish would be getting excessively heated up in a tropical climate. The heat packs typically say---" UP TO 12 hours " or whatever the case may be . Your mileage may vary. If a heat pack says up to 12 hours--you cab bet it will last about 2/3 the time and that is within the range of "up to". I seriously doubt a 36 hour heat pach will last 36 hours--probably 20
( my guess )

Within the states, this will do just fine! In Asia, I think the additional heat could possibly cause respiration problems. Bottom line--No heat packs from Asia--No problem. The cargo holds are heated the same as the passenger compartment. The fish get to New Jersey and the handling by Virgin Airlines ( Singapore Air Sub-contractor ) is very professional. I pick up as soon as I can, the fish are in a heated van for the trek.

Sorry so long, Joe :-\

01-12-2003, 01:07 AM
Fossil--Bearing in mind that this was something that you read and that as a shipper, People are now on to my game of being fashionable with my imitation heat packs.Knowing that no matter what--temperature is constant, I will refer you to Darcy. He will force you to stand in the corner and scratch your eyes out with a camouflaged entrenching tool ( you won't know what hit you ) You will be incapacitated sightwise , rendering you with the inability to read any more drivel on the internet including this! Just kidding. ;D I found your post informative and insightful 8) as well. Joe

Jeff
01-12-2003, 03:05 AM
Hey thanks Joe. Do you use heat packs to ship in the US during the winter? :)

01-12-2003, 03:35 AM
Jeff, Yes I do use the packs when shipping. I do not book any flights that go through Pittsburgh as the moronic baboons ( sorry about baboon defamation! ) will let your fish sit on the tarmac while awaitng a reload for a continuing flight.
I sent out 17 pcs. all 5-6" fish to California a month ago. Upon arrival--2 DOA's. Water temperature 64 degrees. ( BRRRRRRR ) No claim as the cargo area at L.A. had the customer sign for the fish before he saw the condition of the boxes. One box out of three--damaged pretty badly. When one signs--the print says I received the shipment in good condition. Everyone should advise their clients to first check the condition of the shipment prior to signing their John Hancock. >:( Joe

April
01-12-2003, 03:36 AM
yes joe...how about if you shipped to Vancooler. ????
or do you? ::)

01-12-2003, 03:44 AM
Pril, Have'nt yet. Vancooler would not have to be shipped via Pittsburgh. I have been patiently waiting for a year to be inspected by Northwest Airlines. Until then, my friend can ship for me. I continually hear the problem is with Air Canada?
::) Joe

Jeff
01-12-2003, 03:44 AM
I know that feeling. Sometimes these guys just don't care. Its too bad considering all the time it takes to raise a fish to 5". :-\

Liz_Streithorst
01-12-2003, 11:03 AM
Go for it April...It's only money ::) Just think. Yellow fishies!

01-12-2003, 11:33 AM
Just Say The word and its Done! ;D

darcy
01-12-2003, 11:45 AM
Ok for my .02. Air Canada is good and bad. My first shipment of discus went OK with no hitches, fish all alive and the packing was A1!!!!! When I got Angels and discus sent to me the box was beat up pretty good A little water leak but no DOA's and as of today the discus are all good. the Angel's I sold. A friend of mine works as a baggage handler and they could care less what is in the box, and how they handle that box.
Darcy

By the way that first box I got was in the winter with temp's here reaching -30!!!!! I could feel the heat in the box when I opened it!!