PDA

View Full Version : Another disease question

SirG
01-10-2003, 06:36 PM
I have a 45gal well planted community (not overloaded) aquarium with 3 discus (one 2.5 and two 4-5 in) .ph~6.9, kh~8, gh~11, NO3~10ppm, wc 30% twice a week with tap water,temp~27 C, lights 140W(12-12 photoperiod) , canister filter, no buffers (only CO2), feed 3 times daily (mainly flakes, granules and twice a week frozen bloodworms).
The small discus bought recently (10 days) and after a couple days stopped eating. One gill doesn't work, scratcing occasionally (also the others), breathing quikly and I can not see any other external symptoms (maybe pale gills), haven't seen any feces also(logical?).
There is a lot of bullying between the biggers (actually the biggest doesn't seem to tolerate others at all) and the leader chased the new one repeatedly.After the symptoms the chasing to the new one almost stopped.
The biggers seem ok (bullying all time).
Treated with salt 1tbsp/10 gal and raising the temp to 30+ (five days now) scrathing stopped.The other symptoms remaining.
I'm guessing (not a vet obviously) is gill flukes.
I wouldn't like to treat the hole aquarium (plants,shrimps,snails,etc) and I have bought formaldeyde 37% (mainly AP,Sera,Tetra and Waterlife drugs anailable here).I would prefer a short bath solution (sorry no quarantine tank).I don't want to stress the fish much more and I think a radical treatment (formaldeyde) would help instead of trying various treaments.

I would appreciate any help (also for the bullying).

Francisco_Borrero
01-10-2003, 11:01 PM
HI SirG:
I would have concluded the same as you: gill flukes, although there may be other things going on.
You have a problem getting rid of flukes. It is almost impossible to do so, particularly in a planted tank with substratum. So even if you clean the discus outside, they are going to get them again in short order. Gill flukes are usually not a major problem in adult fish, even if present (nearly always), as long as everything else is good.
If the fish are looking very sick, they will not get better by themselves. I would consider revamping the whole tank, and consider going bare-bottom or with potted plants.
Hope this helps. Good luck. Cheers, Francisco.

Carol_Roberts
01-11-2003, 12:31 AM
You have a 45 gallon planted community tank.
You change 30% water twice a week.

You had two 4.5 inch discus and then 10 days ago added a 2.5 inch discus.

The new little discus is scratching, breathing rapidly and being harassed by the two big discus who own the tank.

The new little discus may well be bothered by gill flukes, however you could clean up every gill fluke in the tank and this little discus still isn't going to eat, grow and be happy.

Discus are territorial. Three is a very bad number for discus - especially when the new guy is half the size of the home boys.

I'd take him back. If you're going to try to stick a third discus in there get a big one. Or if you want several discus get a bare bottom with at least 4 juveniles all the same size to grow out. Sell back the ones you don't want.

I'm afraid you've put yourself in a no-win situation.
Carol :heart1:

SirG
01-11-2003, 09:13 AM
Thank you for the replies........