PDA

View Full Version : DI EFFECTIVENESS

snowshoe
01-10-2003, 11:34 PM
HI,

DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA OF HOW EFFECTIVE A DI UNIT WOULD BE ON TDS AFTER AN RO UNIT. THE WATER OUT OF MY RO IS 130 PPM ( TOO HIGH). JUST WONDERING HOW MUCH A DI UNIT WOULD HELP ?

Carol_Roberts
01-11-2003, 12:45 AM
Do you need a new RO membrane?
Carol :heart1:

RandalB
01-11-2003, 01:13 AM
Snowshoe,
A DI unit should completely eliminate the 130 PPM TDS that you are reporting from your RO unit, giving you water around 0 TDS. You will just go through DI cartriges quickly which can get very expensive FAST.

What is your feed water like? I agree with Carol that 130 is very high coming out of the RO unit, but not unusual for feed water in the 900-1000 PPM range, especially in cold weather with low feed water pressure.

Is your RO unit new? If not, it might be time to check the Pre-filters or the membrane there may be a problem there.

Oh, STOP SHOUTING! LOL ;D

Hope this helps,
RandalB

snowshoe
01-11-2003, 12:43 PM
thanks,

the ro unit is new. i have a booster pump on the way from randal. I hope the di isnt to $$$ it looks like my only choice. i will see if the booster helps first though.

jeep
01-11-2003, 02:35 PM
130 ppm sounds very high even for non-DI RO water. You say this is new? I would report the high readings to the place you bought it from. It sounds like a membrane problem. Membranes have an expiration time limit and can go bad if setting on the shelf too long...

RandalB
01-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Ah HA!
I think I know who this is!

Your Feed water TDS is probably the culprit, If you are who I think you are. You have the highest TDS I've ever heard of.

See what that booster can do for you.

Don't worry, if it's still too high, I'll take care of you on the DI end. When I said expensive I was referring to retail pricing.

Thanks again for the order,
RandalB

01-11-2003, 11:55 PM
Snow...
I had the same trouble when I first purchased my unit. It turned out that the RO membrane was not seated correctly inside the housing. Once I opened it and fully seated it, my readings improved greatly. And then... I got the booster (thanks to Randal) and the TDS (before the DI) is that much better.....

Julz :)