PDA

View Full Version : Head-standing Discus

Fish_Fin-atic
01-10-2003, 11:37 PM
I'm about to buy a couple dozen juvies and adults from a friend. One of the nicer (of course) adults has a problem with balance. He cannot seem to stay in a horizontal position, and even though the pec fins try hard to maintain balance, eventualy, the tail will slowly rise up, until the fish is in a vertical position, and it stays like this for long periods of time. Apparently it eats and otherwise is normal. This has been going on for a couple of months now. I'm guessing it could be a swim bladder infection, but it's just a wild guess. Any ideas?

engineguy129
01-11-2003, 12:06 AM
Hi Fish_Fin-atic,
Headstanding is caused by to much gas in the swin bladder that makes the fish "head heavy" due to a inflammation of the swim bladder and becomes a more common sight if the temp in the tank is suddenly raised and over time the inflammation will spread making it harder for the fish to decrease pressure in the swim bladder to keep its bouyancy correct. I do not know of any meds that can help with this, I wish there was more info I could give you. Maybe some of the other guys can help you out.
Best of luck to you.
Rob

peety
01-11-2003, 07:48 AM
Whatcha feeding?
I used to get same thing when I fed dry foods. The fish learnt after a time not to eat so qiuck. I ended up soaking pellets and flakes first for a while.

peety

Fish_Fin-atic
01-11-2003, 08:20 PM
Thanks guys. I'm not feeding this fish, because I don't own it until next Sunday. I'm picking it up as part of a package deal. I know that right now it is eating colour pellets (dry), flake food (also dry) and beefheart and Mysis shrimp. Actually, there's a great discussion going on in the main forum right now about someone else who has the exact same problem. Lots of great suggestions flying around in there. Too bad those people don't frequent this forum as well :( The fish I'm about to buy is now at the 90 degree face-down stage, and I'm worried that he's beyond help. But time will tell I guess. Thanks again.

Ardan
01-11-2003, 10:51 PM
Hi,
I have read that sometimes an antibiotic will help as it could be an air bladder infection.

SOmetimes epsom salt will help with blockages of the intestine which puts pressure on the swim bladder opening causing it to stay closed.

SOmetimes there is no cure, some fish die, some live with the condition.

Just some possibilities

hth
Ardan