PDA

View Full Version : New to the forums

black_bullet
01-11-2003, 03:55 AM
Hello everyone,

Great site...and beautiful discus :o I only have 6 discus right now a breeding pair that is unfortunatly infertile, a 6" pigeon blood male, a 2.5" blue diamond, and 2 poor little 3" discus that someone carried into the LFS they are horribly stunted :'( But they are doing a little better. I will try to get some decent pictures of my discies tomorrow ;D

Jeff
01-11-2003, 07:15 AM
Welcome to simply. I would love to see Pics. Post them when you get a chance.

darcy
01-11-2003, 10:34 AM
Hi There Welcome to Simply!!!!!!!! yep,for sure fire up some pic's when you get the chance!!!!
Darcy

Carol_Roberts
01-11-2003, 02:50 PM
Welcome to Simplydiscus :wave:

Post your water parameters - maybe they discus are fertile, but your water is too hard, or maybe you have too much current in the tank . . . .
Carol :heart1:

black_bullet
01-11-2003, 03:45 PM
Thanks ;D

The first 10 spawns I lowered the pH down to 6.8 and had it extremely soft...still no hatchings. So now I have let it go back to a 7.2 pH its easier to keep it static there without flunctuations like the 6.8. Their water looks like tea from the driftwood, peat and black water extract so I do know it is fairly soft. They had a Penguin 170 back then to on a 29G tank so not to much current, now they have a Penguin 330. I like watching them spawn every week and go threw the motions of tending th eggs so its non for loss ;D

Carol_Roberts
01-11-2003, 06:12 PM
Softness and low pH are two different things. Have you measured the hardness of your water. GH test kits are not very expensive. My discus breed in pH 7.6, so your pH sould be fine. I have to lower my hardness from GH 11 to GH6 with a Reverse Osmossis (RO) filter for my eggs to hatch. An RO removes disolved minerals like calcium and magnesium from the water. these disolved minerals harden the outside of the egg.

Carol :heart1:

black_bullet
01-11-2003, 07:59 PM
Yes I did back then the GH was 5 but I have now let it go back to about 8. Sorry I forgot to add the exact specks for hardness since I usually dont pay as close attention to hardness as I do pH. ;D