PDA

View Full Version : Help With Parasites

BS
01-11-2003, 08:22 PM
Greetings Everyone,
I am new to the forum and have a desparate situation with my Super Red Turqouise Discus.

The fish are quite strong normally and have only encountered one bug they can't seem to shake. The bug is a parasite that must be living in their intesinal tracts because the affected fish are thin and concave around the stomach, although I never see the tell tale stringy white feces. If their water quality is compromised, a small white speck appears on the outside of the cornea of their eyes. In two days the speck has grown to fill the entire cornea and definately looks like a good sized worm. Without a treatment right away, the fish is blinded as this thing enters it's retina. I'm thinking it then inhabits the intestines of the fish from that point on. When first visible in their eye, a quick temp increase to 94/96 degrees and a course of Metro prevents the blindness, the parasite shrinks and goes away...but where? Any time the water quality is down from that point on the cycle repeats. I've tried a few meds so far; metro, clout, parasite clear, in the water and food, but the discus are never fully cured. I also re-treat after 30 days.

These fish are from a spawn I raised so they are acclimated to the water, foods, etc. Before this demon arrived, I had several sucessfull spawns from them. I'm now down to three, one female and two males.

I would appreciate anything anyone can offer as help!

Thanks,
Bob

Ardan
01-11-2003, 10:48 PM
Hi,
I believe from reading that it could be a nematode that lives internally.

Possibly flubendazole might work. 1/4 tsp/20 gal every other day for 10 days. 50% WC before dosing.

hth
Ardan :sun:

BS
01-12-2003, 09:41 AM
Hi Ardan,
Thanks, I'll try that ASAP, the female is now on her last leg lumbering around the tank in a listless state.
BTW, can you tell me where a nematode came in to the tank? From krill used in the discus food maybe?

Thanks,
Bob

BS
01-12-2003, 01:03 PM
Another question I should have included is this; :idea2:

Will the "bio wheels" and sponge filters habor eggs from this parasite/nematode and is that why it never seems to go away?

Thanks,
Bob

Ardan
01-12-2003, 06:00 PM
Hi,
SOmetimes fish harbor a parasite with no ill effects until the fish becomes stressed or weakened, then the parasite seizes the opportunity.

Sometimes filters, biowheels, etc can harbor one stage of the parasite life cycle or another, depending on the particular parasite.

hth

BS
01-12-2003, 07:03 PM
Thanks !
I always wondered if they lived in the filter material or not. Just as a precaution, I will sterilize all filter apparati after either finally curing whats left of my fish or loosing them to this :TEXT: worm.

Thanks,
Bob

Ardan
01-12-2003, 07:06 PM
Hi,
You also may want to start cycling a clean filter sponge in a bucket with an airstone and some ammonia, so that when a cure is achieved you will have a cycled sponge and will not have to put the fish through the stress of cycling.

hth

BS
01-12-2003, 07:10 PM
Yes,
Very good point! Thanks!