PDA

View Full Version : confused

viewsonic
01-13-2003, 10:16 AM
I just picked up 2 new discus for my tank. They appeared to be paired in the tank at the LFS. So I bring them home, go through the standard procedures then get them in the tank (40 gallon). That night they swam around together, everywhere throughout the tank there they both where. The next morning I check on them, they are doing good swimming around still next to eachother. So I feed them. I go out for the day and come back later on that night. I've noticed now that the one discus is chasing the other nipping at it's side and fins! I'm like ***! Has anyone ever noticed this type of behavior from the discus? This is my first set of Discus and am going to end up getting 2 more for my tank I just wanted to know if anyone had ever noticed this type of behavior from what appeared to be a mated pair? These are about 2-2.5" discus.

01-13-2003, 10:29 AM
Ask yourself who will sell a breeding pair in a LFS? A discus pair can be compatible or non-compatible. The pair that fights will never be successful. Maybe the ex-owner got frustrated and dump them to LFS. He had enough of them eating eggs and fighting constantly.
Jimmy.

Aquatic_Design
01-13-2003, 10:36 AM
Viewsonic,
If they are only 2"-2.5" discus they are too young to be paired. In order to spread some of the aggression around you will need to put 4 more 2"-2.5" discus in there. Young discus like to school. As they grow you will need a bigger tank.
Good luck with them.
HTH
Donna :)

01-13-2003, 10:46 AM
I agree they are too young. The agression you see is common with young fish. If I were you I would add a few more discus to your tank.

Mike

viewsonic
01-13-2003, 10:59 AM
I was planning on getting 4 I just didn't like the colors too much of the other discus that were at the LFS. Today I will see if they have recieved any more and probably pick up 2 more if there are any that I like.

01-13-2003, 11:02 AM
Sorry, I've missed the 2-2.5" part. I thought they'were adults.
Jimmy.

viewsonic
01-13-2003, 11:06 AM
Sorry, I've missed the 2-2.5" part. I thought they'were adults.
Jimmy.

:P

01-13-2003, 11:09 AM
:-X :-X :-X :-X That's what I told myself.Hahaha. Speed reading is my problem. Never finish what I suppose to read.Hahahaha.
Jimmy.

viewsonic
01-13-2003, 11:26 AM
:-X :-X :-X :-X That's what I told myself.Hahaha. Speed reading is my problem. Never finish what I suppose to read.Hahahaha.
Jimmy.

I'm just glad I discovered this site, I've just started this Discus tank and this site is really informative and has already helped me out tremendously.

Ryan
01-13-2003, 11:57 AM
Hi viewsonic,

A member signed up yesterday and posted with your exact same problem. Here's another thread with some more input.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=6110

Ryan

Lynn
01-13-2003, 12:06 PM
Get more fish, the aggression will ease up then. Good luck with them!

Ryan...I just read your quote at the bottom...thats the best laugh I've had in awhile!! And its very true! ;D

viewsonic
01-13-2003, 12:34 PM
Hi viewsonic,

A member signed up yesterday and posted with your exact same problem. Here's another thread with some more input.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=6110

Ryan

Yeah, I actually read that then posted this since it was similar but I wanted to be sure so I created another topic instead of adding my question to his. Thanks !!!