PDA

View Full Version : Discus with white droppings

wo
01-13-2003, 11:57 AM
Hi,

One of my adult checkboard discus lose his appetite for several days and become black. I put him in a separate tank and treat him with hexa-killer med bath. But the temperature remain 28c. He still don't eat. Today I find a white(more correctly-transparent) dropping with diameter of 1mm and 10cm long. Just look like the transparent surface of a hot dog and with nothing in the middle. What is it? How should I treat him? Thanks for your help.

It's for a long time that my discus are all healthy. But yesterday three of my marlboro youngsters are gone because I have not noticed they had gill infection. These days I am really focus on the new discus I bought and leave them with less care. I fell so sorry for them. May they rest in heaven. :'(Other discus are all fine. But I find out that it is always the prettiest die first and those common one remain. Hope they forgive me for talking them like this.

Carol_Roberts
01-13-2003, 12:21 PM
Hi Wo:
For the metro wot work best you need to raise the tank temp to 92+

There are a couple of different treatment methods. I believe Cary advises 400 mg metro every 8 hours for 3 days with daily 50% water change.

I have had luck in mild cases with 400- 500 mg metro onece per day after a 50% water change. Keep temp eleveate for a week after treatment and slowly lower a couple of degrees per day.
Carol :heart1:

wo
01-13-2003, 12:55 PM
Carol:

Thanks for your help. I will proceed immediately. I wish all my discus live long and happily. I am spending more and more time on the discus from time to time.

BlueTurquoise
01-13-2003, 09:36 PM
LOL that is my wife's arguement also, taht I spend too much time with my fish!

The life cycle of Hexamita protozoans are roughly 3 days so I would bath him for longer to kill the adults and the unhatched eggs when they hatch. If he has problems passing large feces you may want to try Epsom salt as well.

See here for metro treatment for Hexamita:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=5796

Good luck!
Chong :thumbsup:

wo
01-15-2003, 11:34 AM
Chong:
Thanks for the help! I once treated them with waterlife Octozin but one of them still doing not well. I have already raised the temp. He still won't eat but have the strength to chase the other discus(not far). I hope he get well soon. I feel kind of sad when either one fish leave me. About 2 weeks ago I bought 8 san marah fries and since then I spent a lot of time on them and ignore the other. As a result, 4 of my marlboro fries died the day before. I blame myself for unfair to them. What done is done, I spend equal time on each of my three tanks now. However, black eyes are what I got in return.

By the way, congradulation! You have a lovely wife. Does your wife accept your hobby or not? My wife won't let me keep discus at first. Now she likes discus more than I do. She still refuse to help me with water changing though.