PDA

View Full Version : Changing water without disturbing parents & babies ?

ping
01-13-2003, 08:12 PM
Hi,

How do you change the water without disturbing the parents and the babies ?

I am thinking of creating a small partition in the breeding tank by using a piece of glass glued at one corner of the tank. This piece of glass will have a small hole underneath covered by sponge (so that the babies wont get in).
I will doing water changes in the small partition area. By this, it wont disturb the parents and the babies.

I have read that it is important to clean the bottom of the tank.
But how could it be possible without disturbing the parents and the babies ?

Cheers,
Ronny

01-13-2003, 08:29 PM
Ronny, yes to need to keep the water clean....I try to change only about 10-20% of the water when I have young fry in the tank. I use a hose and white bucket to empty the water into that way if I accidently suck up any fry I can see them in the bucket. You can also place a piece of sponge on the end of the hose that is in your tank to keep the fry from being sucked up.................Randy

Carol_Roberts
01-13-2003, 10:25 PM
I was so afraid of sucking up fry the first time. When I thought I need to cull a few of the tiny ones I couldn't catch them.

The first couple of weeks you just have to be careful and slow and don't walk away from the siphon.

Don't neglect cleaning the tank and changing the water! Clean water is more important that losing a fry or two.

Carol :heart1:

ping
01-14-2003, 12:13 AM
Hi Randy & Carol,

Thanks for your replies.
I know what is my problem is. I am using a metal stand and i put my breeding tank underneath. So it's really hard for me to change the water.

I will buy a new tank + stand and will put the breeding pair at the top.

Cheers,
Ronny