PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Heaters

heavyp83
01-13-2003, 11:09 PM
I was thinking of ordering a couple of titanium heaters (the ones at drsfostersmith), but then I started to hear that the weren't UL listed. I'd like to know what everyone thinks about them compared to glass heaters. I sure do like the external temp. control, but I want to get the best possible.

Thanks!

:drummer: :guitarist: :singer:

Liz_Streithorst
01-13-2003, 11:21 PM
I LOVE mine...a 300 and a 500. I have read here, but don't know for sure, that the UL listing is coming. They just started selling them before they got the UL was finished testing.

Liz

BlueTurquoise
01-13-2003, 11:27 PM
ViaAqua Stainless Steal has external thermostatic control, they work great. So far so good, 3 months down so far for me.

Chong

heavyp83
01-13-2003, 11:44 PM
Do the temperature controls plug straight into the socket or is there a cord from the control to the outlet? Thanks!

:drummer: :guitarist: :singer:

BlueTurquoise
01-13-2003, 11:48 PM
ummm 2 cables come from the heating rod, one goes into the thermostatic control with a dial and the other has a thermostatic probe on the end of it. Then one cable goes from the thermostatic controller to the powerpoint.

http://www.hollandforge.com.au/media/stainsteel.jpg

This picture looks abit different from mine I think...

hth
Chong

PS. nothing is disconnectable or removable cept suction cups

Cormorant
01-14-2003, 12:00 AM
Hi Liz,

I'm glad you like the heaters. You are right, the UL listing is pending on Won Pro Titanium heaters.

heavyp83

Via Aquas are the ones with separate cable for power, heating tube, and sensor. Won Pro heaters have thermostat in the plug with temp sensor together or separate depending the model.

Albert

heavyp83
01-14-2003, 12:10 AM
Hmm I don't know if I like this business about a thermostat probe, are there any that are just the heating rod and controller? thanks

01-14-2003, 12:20 AM
heavy, Yes there are by Jalli. There is the rod and the controller is also located at the plug. I have had mine for 8 months and really like them. Got em at That Fish Place in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Joe :)

Denny
01-14-2003, 02:05 AM
that may have been me you heard.

like i said they really suprised me with their heat output and accuracy but mine just up and died the other week. at least it didn't cook em and i had another heater in the tank. i only want to say that i had one die so they are not bulletproof, but i like the design(via aqua) and if nobody else has problems i may get more in the future

denny

mench
01-14-2003, 08:42 AM
I use both the Won and the Via Aqua.They both seem to work well,one of my Via Aquas just died,but it didn't cook the fish,just quit.I noticed the temp going down and was able to replace it .

Mench

01-14-2003, 10:24 AM
If I remember correctly, I have the Won's and noticed they autoshut off when the water level is reduced..... The temp sensor probe is present on heaters 300W and above.... Don't much care for the controller on the plug deal so I just ran an extention cord, and secured it to the side of the tank stand. I do wish I would have spent a few extra $$ and gone with the Titanium II's, with the digital temp reading.....

Works for me.... :)

Rick_May
01-14-2003, 10:46 AM
I've been using some via aqua’s for over a year and never had a problem. via aqua has two styles of heaters, they sell titanium heaters and also a stainless steel version the major difference is the stainless steel version doesn’t have the external probe, its probe is inside the heating tube. I've got to admit I like all the via aqua line of products that I've tried. they’ve got a canister filter that is similar to the Eheim pro line of filters, water pumps similar to RIO's filters and heaters similar to the PRO heaters. I think we can all see how they do product development.

Aquatic_Design
01-14-2003, 03:30 PM
I thought I'd put my 2 cents in here. I have been running Via Aqua titanium heaters for almost a year now. I have found them to be very accurate and reliable................BUT

Last week I had noticed one tank of discus were a little sluggish. I checked the therm. and noticed the tank was at 75 :o The heater was running but not able to keep the tank warm enough. It was set at 86. I pulled the heater and placed a brand new Via Aqua titanium in the tank. It was fine all day. The following morning it was dead and the tank was at about 75 again.
All of my other VA titaniums are doing great. I don't know why this happened. I have ordered four VA SS heaters so I'll see how they do.
I'm not trying to say not to use these heaters. I will continue to use them. I would rather they cool down instead of fry my fish.
JMO
Donna :)

elimon
01-14-2003, 07:57 PM
Hi Heavyp83,

I currently bought some titanium heaters from one of the members on this site (Cormorant). He lives in my city so I went to pick them up personally but he does ship. Check out his website www.aquacave.com.

He is a great guy and also has some nice discus nice. I bought two baby snakeskin x leopard from him and they look greate!!

Goodluck!!
Efren