PDA

View Full Version : i need help please mum or dad?

larry lob
01-15-2003, 05:29 AM
hi,

i took out my 13 day babies from the tank on monday because mum was killing dad, she wanted to lay again and he was busy with the babies.
after 1 day without babies they layed a super clutch of eggs about 350-375 eggs last night.

This morning dad was attacking mum quite bad so i had to take one of them out, the dad was a better parent but only after a few days of free swimming, mum did the fanning moving and she was darkest so they babies attached well, then he did most the feeding.

My problem is i took dad out but am not sure if that was the right choice. what would you have done with the facts i have put down?

plaese give me your oppinions or experiances i know dads are supposed to be better but could i switch them after a few days free swimming? assuming i get that far?

Larry

P.s pic is mum with what i call nearly 400 eggs but even with the pic it's hard to count

Discusgeo
01-15-2003, 08:23 AM
Larry you really don't need to move either one out of the tank. All I do is put and Egg crate divider between them because the male is pretty rough on the female. Look at the picture below to get an idea of what to do. Now my babies are still able to swim thru the holes and feed on each parent.
http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=1105542
The Blue Diamond pair in this photo look OK togethere but once the eggs hatch, watch out the male gets very mean and I use the egg crate on them also.
http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=1267645

larry lob
01-15-2003, 08:41 AM
cheers,

good idea mate but i have looked for that stuff in the uk but all i find is usless for separation, i put had to put dad back because mum lost intrest fanning but i have made a makeshift devider for now.
dude they are stunning colbalts you got there !!!!!!!!!!!

Larry

mench
01-15-2003, 08:51 AM
If you cant find the plastic "egg crate" you could do it the hard way,go to hardware store,get a peice of plexiglass and drill holes in it...lots of work but it will work.

Mench