PDA

View Full Version : Fungus and Ick

nicefishman
01-15-2003, 08:48 AM
Hi,

Can we treat fungus and Ick at the same time. What medicine will you recommend ???

Jerry

Thanks !

BlueTurquoise
01-15-2003, 09:29 AM
Hi,

Elevate the tank temperature to 1-2 degrees higher than normal and add 2 - 3 teaspoons per galon of non iodised salt (plain table salt). You can start with lighter dosage and move your way up to 3 teaspoons. Don't forget to raise temps slowly.

Change water frequently (50% daily) and replace the removed salt. I would treat over 3-4 days or more and watch them closely.

Chong

nicefishman
01-15-2003, 10:32 AM
Thanks ! chong,

Will epsom salt do the trick ? Can epsom change the ph ?

Jerry

Carol_Roberts
01-15-2003, 07:46 PM
Wait, wait, wait . . . .
You have a discus with fungus and ick? Something is very wrong.

What is your water temperature and how often are you changing water?

You can get rid of the ick (if that's what it is - are you sure?) simply by raising the temp to 86/88

Why does your discus have fungus - a wound - scratching on objects?

First line of defense is extra water changes. Get the water clean first then add salt (not epsom salt) and meds such as furan 2
Carol :heart1:

BlueTurquoise
01-15-2003, 11:14 PM
Ahh yes, Carol is very right, don't just solve the problem, find the root of the cuase and fix.

:thumbsup: Carol! :-* ;)

Chong

01-15-2003, 11:52 PM
Nicefishman,, Also, turn out the tank light as light propogates fungus. Discus only contract ich when left in temperatures under 80 degrees for an extended period of time. Ich will not survive in the temperatures we should be keeping our fish at. Ditto with velvet.

In 26 years of discus keeping--I have never seen discus with ich. A correct diagnosis is paramount. What are the symptoms? Joe

nicefishman
01-16-2003, 09:03 AM
Hi,

I hve two young discus in a 30Gal H bare bottom tank. I only do 10-15 wc every week.

You guys are right about temp. My temp is 78 - 79, just raised it to 86 last night.

As for FUngus, the fish's fin become cloudy, i put them in a qn tank and treat them.
Thank you all for the input !

Carol_Roberts
01-16-2003, 02:32 PM
The fins become cloudy due to poor water quality (from lack of water changes) and possibly stress from too low water temps.

You may have triggered many problems with this combination. Watch to see if they quit eating, turn dark and start hanging in the back of the tank with cloudy eyes. Look for white or clear, stringy feces

You should be changing at least 25% water everday with youg discus. You can add 1 or 2 tablespoons of salt to their water and replace with water changes for a week to help relieve stress.
Carol :heart1: