PDA

View Full Version : R.O. Installation

cesar_1304
01-16-2003, 03:13 PM
Hi,

Just picked up an R.O. unit and was wondering if there are any online sites that show how to hook them up?

The water will most likely be stored in a holding tank... So i dont know if I will need floats, shut offs, etc...

-Cesar

01-16-2003, 05:53 PM
Cesar, what do you need to know? Maybe I can help you out....They all hook up the same unless you add float valves or backflush valves then you have to change a few lines.......Randy

Carol_Roberts
01-16-2003, 07:34 PM
May RO suppliers like Kent have a place on their website where you can download the instructions. I lost mine and couldn't remember which was the good water line and which was the water water line, lol.
Carol :heart1:

cesar_1304
01-16-2003, 09:48 PM
I want to hook up the R.O. unit so that I can keep a container of R.O. water at all times... I have seen several setups including float valves and sink hook ups...

In my situation I have asked the plumber to put a hose bib from the cold water as I did not want to pierce anything... I guess I can manually hook up and turn the water on and off as needed now but was wondering if I did that would I destroy the membranes... Does the R.O. unit have to be under constant flow or pressure of water?

I dont think I need anything fancy right now...

And if anyone has got any examples I can really use a manual or pics...

Thanks
Cesar

Carol_Roberts
01-17-2003, 03:14 AM
Here's my portable system (don't laugh). I can hook this up in the bathroom or kitchen. The white box is a transformer that run the black and silver booster pump.

Carol_Roberts
01-17-2003, 03:15 AM
I Run a line from the faucet to the booster pump to the RO. The waste water comes out one blue line into the sink and down the drain or it can go ointo a barrel for my Africans.

The RO product water is in the long blue line going across the floor to my barrrels in the garden tub

Carol_Roberts
01-17-2003, 03:19 AM
and into a barrel to circulate with a pond pump.

The bathroom floor is criss-crossed with thick black cords to pond pumps. Lucky I have GFI plug ins for all outlets in bathroom ;D

Steve_Warner
01-17-2003, 03:37 AM
I lost mine and couldn't remember which was the good water line and which was the water water line, lol.

Hi all,
Carol, all ya gotta do is taste them both, then you'll know which one is which! ;D

Steve

jeep
01-17-2003, 12:11 PM
I use mine similar to how Carol does. I have a 100gpd unit and I just hook it up to my sink using a diverter valve only when I need water. I bought 60 feet of 1/4" tubing from Home Depot (.07 cents a foot) and I run the waste water to my garden and the RO water to a holding tank in another room. That way I can store the RO unit in my closet when not in use.

Using and RO unit in thes way will not harm the membrane. The only reason you would have to have it permenantly hooked into your supply is if you want an automated refill system or you want to fill a pressure tank for your own consumption.

Remember, you want to clean your holding tank frequently, so an automatic refill my not be benificial.

RichieE
01-17-2003, 03:10 PM
When I hit the lottery the first thing im gonna do is build Carrol a fish room ;D Rich

Carol_Roberts
01-17-2003, 07:22 PM
Why thank you Rich, buy lots of lottery tickets ;)

Discusgeo
01-17-2003, 10:08 PM
Jeep don't store your R.O membrane in the closet when it's not in use. The warmth cause bacteria to grow in it. If you can add some quick disconnects to the ends and store the membrane in the refridgerator.

jeep
01-17-2003, 10:43 PM
I never thougt of that. Thanks George.

Although between my fish and personal consumption, I do use it daily...

cesar_1304
01-18-2003, 02:33 AM
Thank you all for your responses...

Carol that was exactly what I needed to see... thanks for taking the time to take the pics...

-Cesar

RandalB
01-18-2003, 10:36 PM
Ahh! The Elusive Carol Setup Pics! I've been waiting for those! I see the horizontal mounting (setting on the counter) works just fine.... ;D

Cesar, The membrane housing is the long white tube attached to the metal bracket. It has 3 push in John Guest fittings on it and can be easily detached for refrigerator storage. I recommend that. Just make sure you don't loose the Flow restrictor when disconnecting the waste line.

If possible, (Not mounted to the wall) you can also store the whole unit in the refrigerator as it is equipped with all John Guest fittings and you only have to remove 2 to store the unit. The post filter may also grow bacteria if not refrigerated as can the prefilters.

Feel free to give me a call if you have further questions, I love talking to people about RO.

Hope this helps.
RandalB

jeep
01-19-2003, 03:56 PM
My water contains chlorine AND chloramines. I understand the chloramines are not removed by the membrane. Since the membrane contains chloramines when not in use, would bacteria still grow within the housing?

The most my unit ever sets is 2 days...

RandalB
01-19-2003, 05:41 PM
Jeep,
The problem with chloramines is they go through the membrane. The bacteria growth before the membrane is not the problem as these bacteria are filtered out when water is pushed through the membrane. It's the post membrane side you have to worry about. The bacteria growing in the membrane itself can also cause damage.

As far as the presence of Chloramines in your unit, I don't know if that makes it all OK. I know people that don't refrigerate and only use their RO units once a week (Salt water Reef guys) that don't have any problems. Just be advised that there can be. Inspect the membrane regularly (Read that as smell it) if it starts smelling foul replace it. Watch the TDS also if it starts increasing over a short period check the prefilters. If they are OK flush the membrane. Flushing the membrane before using it might also be a good idea for removing bacteria growth.

If anyone knows more about chloramine properties, please jump in...

Hope this helps,
RandalB

shootingstar
01-20-2003, 09:36 AM
RandalB,

I bought from you a 75gal RO unit in november that I have not been able to use it yet because I have not done rearranging my fishroom yet. What i did was remove the membrance ( the white one ) and left it on the fridge. I forget how to reconnect it, don't know which one is supposed to connect to the cold tap water line, which is is the waste line, which is is the ro water out ......etc.....i really messed up......right now......I am wondering if you have any instruction ( pictures would be perfect or best explaination ).

thanks

Carol_Roberts
01-20-2003, 10:34 AM
Go to the Kent Marine site. They have their instruction sheet with diagrams that you can print out. Lol, I stored mine and couldn't remember which was the good water and which was the waste water outlet.

RandalB
01-20-2003, 01:23 PM
Steve,
No problem! On the membrane housing, there are three ports: Feed water, which is by itself on one end, Reject and Product which are grouped together on the other end. All the ports are labeled as to what they are.

The Feed port connects to the tube coming from the three pre-filters (clear canisters).

The waste port connects to the tube with the flow restrictor in it that leads to the drain saddle or drain line. The flow restrictor looks like a grey cone with a small black tube coming from it. The black tube goes in to the 1/4" waste tubing with the back tube pointing to the drain.

The Product port is connected via a short piece of tubing to the polishing filter that is connected to the membrane housing with two clips. Make sure to observe and follow the flow direction that is on the polishing filter's label. Your RO water will come out of the polishing filter's other end. Use the additional 1/4" tube provided to route the water to your storage tank.

If you haven't used the unit before, the membrane doesn't have to be refrigerated as it is a dry pack membrane. Once the unit is used, it is a different story.

Since you bought that unit, I have made design improvements. IM me your Shipping address and I'll send you the upgrade parts including the updated instructions and a 3/4" hose bibb connector for the utility sink.

If you have any problems with the above instructions, Call me at (708)334-0878 and I can talk you through it over the phone.

Regards,
RandalB

shootingstar
01-21-2003, 10:45 AM
RandalB,

Thanks for responding !

My unit has 3 clear canisters, 1 black filter ( not sure what kind of filter is it ) and the the white one ( membrance ).

I sent you an email already.

thanks again

RandalB
01-22-2003, 04:59 PM
Steve,
Your goodies went out this morning....
RandalB

cgrim10
01-22-2003, 08:16 PM
hey jeep.
chlorine is just that, chlorine.
chloramine, is chlorine with ammoniac salts, it is an antiseptic. and is stronger, longer than chlorine.
neither of which should ever pass thru/destroy the membrane, but should be caught by the carbon prefilter. hth
cg