PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions on time for switching to RO mix

murali
01-17-2003, 01:10 AM
Hi,

I am just about to start using my reverse osmosis system, not of course for the family, but for my discus.

The tap water that I am presently using is at a PH of 8.
The RO water will be at 5

Ultimately I plan to use two thirds RO and one third tap. My testing shows me that in my case this will result in a PH of 7.0

I am presently doing 25% water changes a day. My plan is to go from straight tap water to the final RO/tap mix over a period of 12 days.

Therefore the change over 12 days will be from PH 8.0 to 7.0

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

Thanks,
Murali.

Carol_Roberts
01-17-2003, 02:36 AM
Are you adding acid to the RO to bring it down to pH 5.0? If yes it may bounce back up when mixed with tap depending on the the buffers in your tap water.

Agitate your RO/tap mix just like your regular stored water to stabilize pH, then take the reading. Your pH may be 7.3 or 7.4

Do 25% water changes with this water for a week and see where your tank pH settles. It may drop naturally to about 7.0 due to the nitrification process.

Carol :heart1:

murali
01-17-2003, 11:45 AM
Hi Carol,

I guess my reading of PH 5 for the pure RO water may be usless.

But I thought by mixing RO and tap that my PH reading would be accurate. I forgot that the resultant water may not have stabilized.

I will follow your advice.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Murali.

Don_Lee
01-17-2003, 03:34 PM
Murali-I always thought that straight RO was pretty close to a 7 pH. Regardless, I would pay attention to the hardness of your water, as this is at least as important as the pH IMO. Can you measure the hardness of your water, either by GH, KH, mS, TDS? If so, if you can post your water hardness it would help determine a good mix for you.

HTH,

Don ;D

murali
01-18-2003, 02:29 PM
Hi Don,

Thanks for your reply.

My idea, perhaps mistaken, was that I would change the PH first, and then only worry about the hardness if and when I have a breeding pair. Even then, I was only planning on considering the hardness in the breeding tank. I would also lower the ph even futher in that tank.

Is this a poor approach?

Thanks,
Murali.

Carol_Roberts
01-18-2003, 03:02 PM
Hi Murali:
Are you trying to get water set up to grow out a batch of juvenile discus? IF yes, then you want to concentrate on building a set up where you can change lots of water easily.

Discus grow best with lots of clean water changes of the same pH and hardness. It doesn't have to be the perfect pH or perfect hardness

It is hard to maintain a steady pH using acids. When I tried I found that even if I could get it the same in the water barrel it would swing up in the tank the next day. My discus were on a constant pH roller coaster.

I wouldn't worry about the pH if you are mixing RO and tap. What ever it settles at will be fine. Are you sure you want to use 2/3 RO? It takes time to make RO water and there is a lot of waste - do you have to pay for water?

Make it easy for yourself so you won't be tempted to put off a water change. ;)

Carol :heart1:

murali
01-18-2003, 03:12 PM
Hi Carol,

Yes, I am using the water for juveniles. Your comments are very helpful because even with the new booster pump I am going to be able to produce just have enough RO water each day for the 25% water changes.

From your comments, I think I will use a greater tap water/ RO mix. Oh, and yes I have to pay for the water. I know that you are one of the lucky ones with a well.

Thanks so much,
Murali.

Don_Lee
01-18-2003, 03:15 PM
Hi Murali,

Carol makes good points. When I started out with discus, I soon learned that my tap water was much too hard for either juvenile or adult discus. My GH and KH were anywhere from 18-24. I lost alot of fish trying to keep the fish in this hard water. I would at least be aware of your hardness levels and go from there, IMO the hardness is at least as important as the pH. The pH can be adjusted as necessary later, with peat and/or driftwood etc....I would definitely not get involved with using buffers to adjust pH unless you have no option.

Don

murali
01-18-2003, 08:11 PM
Hi Don,

Thanks for your emphasis on hardness. It has alerted me to a potential issue.

Regards,
Murali

01-18-2003, 08:37 PM
Murali, Any measurement other than conductivity and TDS in R/O water will be erroneous. Carol has given good advice that I agree with , Joe ;)

Don_Lee
01-18-2003, 09:36 PM
Murali-There are different methods of measuring hardness, which include GH, KH, TDS, and conductivity. They all give a measure of how "hard" or mineral laden ones water is.
Thanks for the input JOE! ;D

Don ;D ;D