PDA

View Full Version : metal bracing for tank

jim_shedden
01-18-2003, 03:51 PM
Some people were wondering about the bracing i use on my tanks. Below is a picture of what I have been doing. I have been using 3/4" marine plywood with metal straping (1/4" x 2" x 16") just for added reinforcing.

Smokey
01-18-2003, 04:04 PM
I'm a little confused with the pic, jim.
What view is showing???

jim_shedden
01-18-2003, 04:07 PM
Your right Smokey.........not the greatest pic. This is a shot from underneath the tank showing the metal braces I use for reinforcement.

Jim

Smokey
01-18-2003, 04:20 PM
Ahhhhhh, thanks. ok.
Great idea,

Just out of curisolity, have you ever had a tank, spring a leak because the supports were not sufficient; causing unnecesary strain on the siliconed edges. ???.

Smokey.

jim_shedden
01-18-2003, 04:33 PM
I havn't had a failure that way but I have had a 90 gallon burst because it was not totally level which put too much stress on the front panel and oooopsssss............not a good day.

Jim

jim_shedden
01-18-2003, 04:37 PM
here is a pic of that tank........if you look closely you will see a crack running down from the middle of the tank down to the bottom left corner.................a real bummer

01-18-2003, 10:23 PM
Hey Jim,

I do beleive that the expression on her face more or less tells the story of that fateful day ;D

jim_shedden
01-19-2003, 12:28 AM
I was so lucky my daughter (Jessie) was home. She immediately got the 13 discus and put them in the holding tank. She didn't lose any.

Jim

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-19-2003, 03:35 PM
Jim
I am not sure why you need the metal bracing, a glass aquarium only needs the perimeter supported.
Dennis

Smokey
01-19-2003, 06:46 PM
Sorry, I disagree. Dennis.... There are very good reasons for supporting the bottom of a large tank.
SAFTEY FIRST...

limige
01-19-2003, 09:20 PM
what i found interesting is mike wells only supports his on the front and rear side, neither of the ends have anything underneath them!

i think that large tanks benefit from a thin sheet of styro underneath.

personally i've never had a problem (fingers crossed)
i probably shouldn't have posted that, i'll pay for it now >:(

tanks do only need the perimeter supported, thats true.. but it also needs to be flat with no twist, thats what cracks tanks. the styro is very cheap insurance that works awesome.
a full sheet bottom is just for structual support of the stand, it greatly increases the overall strength and is a good design for a d.i.y.

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-19-2003, 09:34 PM
Limige
I totally agree with you, I also like a full piece of foam under my tanks to help insulate them beside for leveling.
Dennis