PDA

View Full Version : Something here I am not sure of??

NTORIUSB
01-19-2003, 12:38 PM
I have noticed some small irritation on the Lat line of my discus.... Can you tell me what is going on here?? It's kid of hard to see, but maybe you've had an experience and will know right off the bat. Also, this guy/ or gal has an abbrasion on the head above the right eye. It happened a couple of days prior to this...

I am not sure how to treat this??? Should I wait, salt dip, meds??

Thanks in advance...
Bri

Carol_Roberts
01-19-2003, 01:30 PM
At this point in time I'd just clean the tank, do a few extra water changes and add salt at 1 or 2 tablespoons per 10 gallons. Watch closely for any other symptoms - not eating, dark in color, hanging out in the back of the tank, white feces, etc.

Carol :heart1:

NTORIUSB
01-19-2003, 01:46 PM
Thanks Carol,

I just did a 25% w/c and been keeping a close I on it...

This fish has always been kind of skiddish... When someone aproaches the tank to quickly it'll dart to a hiding place.. I think maybe this is how the mark on the head came about. I think it ran into one of the rocks.... I don't know... The mark on the head is healing quickly and looks alot better. When I first saw it I about sh@t.. I was scared for him/ her..

Do you know what the sex is??? Here is an older pic...

Thanks,
Bri

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//attachments/Dsc003462.jpg

01-19-2003, 01:57 PM
Can you get any clear close up's? looks like HITH to me but I cant tell for sure in your photos.

Mike

mikeos
01-19-2003, 04:15 PM
concur with mike

NTORIUSB
01-19-2003, 09:41 PM
This is the best pic I could get.. I tried for an hour but ever pic was blurry?!?!?!?

Thanks,
B

01-19-2003, 10:15 PM
In the first photo it looked to me like the start of hith. Even with the close up I can't really tell. I do see what looks like pitting on the lateral line. I would up the temp to 93-4 for a week and give him a good diet thats high in protien 60% or better. From the photo it looks like you have other tank mates that may not handle the heat very well so be carefull.

Mike

NTORIUSB
01-19-2003, 10:32 PM
The tank is all discus except for 4 plecosomus (sp?) So I will try uping the temp... How about any meds?? The wild green I have has some pin holes in his head, I know that's HITH so I was comsidering meding the whole tank.. What does everyone think?? Thanks for the reply Mike....

Bri ::)

NTORIUSB
01-19-2003, 10:35 PM
The one pic is when he was in another tank a couple of months ago... Those are gouramis...

Thanks again,
B

BlueTurquoise
01-19-2003, 10:44 PM
I concur with Carol, regular water changes. 30% daily if you can manage it. I would salt and elevated temps if it gets worst and I would only resort to medication (metronidazole) if things were dire...

Nice fish by the way!

Chong

NTORIUSB
01-19-2003, 11:59 PM
Thanks Chong... I love that fish!!! It's the one that made me buy all the other discus... It told me too!!!!!!LOL

JK.. I was just amazed at him/her and have fallen in love with the breed...

B ;D

01-20-2003, 01:21 PM
Brian, How often are you doing water changes and what kind of foods are you feeding your fish. I see you live in Cleveland. Were abouts? Did you get your fish local. If you like I can stop out some time and take a look and maybe give some pointers?

Mike

NTORIUSB
01-20-2003, 10:14 PM
Well, I was doing w/c only 1-2 times a week at 25%... but now I am going to do at least every other day at 25-30% if not everyday. I just put together a Python type setup using a gravel vacuum and awaterbed filler/drainer... It is working quite well... I am actually draining as I type....

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!!!!

B :D :D :D

peety
01-20-2003, 11:45 PM
You'll have to move those pleco's sooner or later.... I had to move mine once they got to about 10" , they started chasing the other fish I have. Bristlenose are a good replacement but I have caught them doing the same, they don't get to the same size though, and the others avoid them pretty easily...

NTORIUSB
01-21-2003, 12:12 AM
Those suckers are getting big quick... I notice they like to try and latch onto the side of my discus!! I'm sure they don't appreciate it either!!!!

B ::)