PDA

View Full Version : Recovering hexamita

Torben
01-19-2003, 06:42 PM
I have been treating my discus with metronidazole and am now in the middle of the treatment scheme.

Apparently only one of the discus in my tank is infected (but how can I really be sure of that - so I am treating all of them). Approxamitly 4-5 hours after first dose, the infected discus started expelling a very long thread of whittish (hollow?) feces, which ended 15-30 minutes later. The samme phenomenon happened after second treatment.

My question now is, does this happen because the medicine is working and the fish expell dead flagellates? And is it an indication that is flagellates for sure and not caprillaria?

Another question is: Is it okay to treat with salt during the metronidazole treatment? One of my fish seems very bloated and I haven't seen him poob although he is the most aggressive eater.

Regards and thanks,

Torben

Carol_Roberts
01-19-2003, 06:53 PM
Hi Torbin:
Yes, for bloated fish, you can combine use of *epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) with a metro treatment. Use 1 or 2 teaspoons of epsom salt per 10 gallons.

I don't know why the white feces was expelled right after treatment. I know my healthy fish will poop right after a water change. I think it's all the activity in the tank.

Carol :heart1:

* epsom salt is different than table salt or aquarium salt

Torben
01-19-2003, 07:03 PM
Hi Carol,

I've noticed that you prefer epsom salt? I don't know this and have never heard of it in Denmark. What is it, and how does it differ from table salt?

Regards,
Torben

BlueTurquoise
01-19-2003, 07:34 PM
Torben,

I buy Epsom salt here in Australia from the supermarket. It is used for human consumption as a laxative for constipation. It is a common thing that you should be able to purchase from a health food store or chemist. You can ask for Magnesium Sulphate if they don't know what it is. It is also very very cheap (300grams for AU$2).

I hope that helps! and good luck with your fish problem!
Chong

Carol_Roberts
01-19-2003, 07:35 PM
Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is a laxitive. It will help constipated, bloated fish pass feces (poop).

Regular salt (sodium chloride) also sold as kosher salt, pickling salt, rock salt or aquarium salt is the type of salt we eat. It helps discus gill function and will reduce fungus and bacteria at high enough concentrations.
Carol :heart1:

Torben
01-21-2003, 03:43 PM
Would you believe it? ???

I have been trying to locate epsom salt in Denmark. It is impossible.

It is not allowed for sale in the supermarkets. The drugstore do not keep it (they have magnesium oxyd - is that the same thing?), the pharmacist kan order it for me, at a price of 30 USD for 1 kilo. The veterinarian does not have it in any clean form. The companies making foods for agriculture can order it for me, but only if I buy 25 kilos. Petshops have never heard of it. Fish importers have never heard of it. The only place I haven't checked yet is a health store. But I doubt if there is any luck there either.

Where can I buy it on the internet and have it shipped to Denmark. I am begging to think that this is the only way to get it.

Regards,
Torben

01-21-2003, 04:09 PM
Make sure the temps at 92-94 deg and continue with the metro treatment. 400mg per ten gallons of tank water. Re Dose ever day after a 50% water change.

Epsom salt will help some during a metro treatment however its not a must have.

Mike

EthanCote.com
01-21-2003, 05:49 PM
In regard to the epsom salt, check your pharmacy and see if they have any. I got mine from the pharmacy. People normally use it to soak their feet or body in with a warm bath.

HTH.

Cheers,

Chi.

Torben
01-21-2003, 06:42 PM
Hi Mike,

I wanted the epsom salt because one of my discus is very bloated and I have not yet seen it poob. I can see you have another treatment scheme with metro than the one I use.

I use three treatments every other day with a 40% WC inbetween and a dose of 75 mg pr. 50 liters, which equals something like 250 mg pr. 10 gallons. Alltogether 750 mg pr 10 gallons for all of the period.

Chi,

My first try was at the pharmacy. The do not keep it on stock but can order it for me at a price of 30 USD for 1 kilo, which really think is a very expensive. But it can be the end of it.

Torben

01-21-2003, 07:11 PM
The reason your fish is bloated is because its in the advanced stages of hex. I would go with a higher dose of metro before its too late. Epsom salt always helps :-\ but not a necessity. That seems like a lot of money for magnesium sulfate.

What is your tank temp?

Mike

Ardan
01-21-2003, 09:22 PM
Hi,
If the fish has been bloated for almost a week, there is a chance that it is a bacterial internal infection. In that case I have used Kanacyn,(kanamyacin ) to treat with good results.

hth

01-21-2003, 09:57 PM
Ardan, please read his first post... Long white stringy... I dont think its bacterial bro.

Mike

01-21-2003, 10:18 PM
Torben, I agree with Mike. Go for the increased dosage. Joe ;)

01-22-2003, 01:35 AM
Mike,
What would you increase the dosage to? 500mg.

Miles

01-22-2003, 01:39 AM
400mg every 12 hrs 50% water change before re dose.

Mike

01-22-2003, 01:40 AM
Thanks Mike

Miles

Torben
01-22-2003, 09:12 AM
For how long can I keep up this treatment? I'm on the sixth day with metro every other day. I suppose I cannot keep the temperature up for much more than one week?

My tank temp. is 93 F. and normally 83-84 F.

I can see that one fish (which is the one that made me aware of the problem) is expelling a lot of white stringy feces in these days, during treatment. I suppose it is because the medication is doing its job. He is the only one not eating and I wonder when he will start doing that again?

Torben

Torben
01-22-2003, 09:44 AM
By the way,

I just made a 40% WC today and added additional 400 mg of metro pr. 10 gallons.

None of the other discus show any signs of hex and I really hope this one will recover, since he is one of my prime joys (why is it never the nasty little sucker in the back of the tank who get sick?)

For how long should I continue this treatment? As I mentioned, I am on the sixth day now. Except that it was only two days ago I managed to get the temp. up to where it is now (2x250 Watt EBO JAGER couldn't do the trick - go figure?).

Actually, I have another problem in the tank. Three fish shows signs of gill flukes, so when the metro treatment is over, I should try to get hold on som flubendazol. The only positive thing about this is that if the metro does not work, then maybe it is Capi..something, and the flubendazol will do the trick.

Regards,
Torben

01-22-2003, 11:58 PM
Torben, Relax and chill! One thing at a time! You did increase aeration--right???? Joe ;)

01-23-2003, 12:38 AM
Prior to increasing the temp the metro had little or no affect. They can take the high heat for more then a week. I agree with Joe one thing at a time they may not have flukes just labored breathing from the increased temps. Make sure you have lots of air going.

Mike

Torben
01-23-2003, 04:55 AM
Thanks for yours answers

I know however that they have gill flukes because the attack started before I had to treat for hexamita
I just had to make my priorities and since one discus had already stopped eating, I thought I would start out with the treatment for hexamita
And yes, I have indeed increased the aeration

Torben

blackghost
01-27-2003, 01:27 AM
Thta was really surprising that u cant get magnesium sulpahte in denmark.In india it's very cheap about 1 kg for 3 to 6 dollars. Thats dirt cheap!