PDA

View Full Version : The browns laid eggs in the new tank

wo
01-20-2003, 01:09 PM
Hi:

My browns laid eggs in the new tank on the second day I moved them from the community tank. They laid eggs for four times in the community tank. But on the second day they ate them all so I moved them to the isolated new tank. I hope this time will work out. Sometimes I suspect that they are all females. Thanks!

wo
01-20-2003, 01:18 PM
Hi:

Since I am the first time to have pair breeding, could any one tell me when the eggs will turn dark (black)? Thank a lot.

Carol_Roberts
01-20-2003, 03:15 PM
Congratulations Wo :thumbsup:

It takes a good 24 hours or so for the eggs to turn black.

Carol :heart1:

Francisco_Borrero
01-21-2003, 11:14 AM
Gorgeous fish Wo!!!!
Congratulations and good luck. Please continue to post on their progress.
Cheers, Francisco.

wo
01-21-2003, 11:51 AM
Thanks to Carol and Francisco. They do not eat the eggs today. That's progress. However, it's been 26 hours and all those eggs have not become dark yet so I am a little worried about they are both females. The large one is alway looking for food and leave the smaller one on her own to take care the eggs. I have not found out which one ate all the eggs before. I really hope it will work out this time.

Another thing I want to ask pros like you. Now my powered filter system is still running. Should I turn off the power right now? Thanks.

01-21-2003, 01:04 PM
wo:i'm not a pro, but--don't be discouraged if the eggs aren't black...in my experience sometimes the eggs really don't change color much at all, and they still hatch into wigglers...mine were pretty much a coppery red color almost until they hatched..
do you have a sponge filter in the tank or a power filter???

wo
01-21-2003, 01:17 PM
Hi David:

Thank you for the information. Yes, the eggs still stay reddish brown. Sometimes I really suspect they are both females. And I have both sponge filter and powered filter on top. Should I turn off the powered filter? For the temperature of 88F(31C), how long does it take usually to see the wigglers(to have eggs hatched)?

01-21-2003, 01:44 PM
I just have a sponge filter in my breeding tank.. i had problems with the fish trying to lay eggs on the power filter, and it put out too much current...when i notice the fish beginning to spawn i turn the air way down on my sponge filter ...
usually eggs will take around 60 hours(2.5 days) to become wigglers....then if all's well another 60 hours or so to become free-swimming....
you won't know for sure whether it's male and female until you get some wigglers....good luck ;D

joanr
01-21-2003, 04:52 PM
Hi Wo,

Beautiful parents! I've never had eggs turn dark, they stay an orangish tan color. However, if you look closely at the eggs you can sometimes see two little dark specks which would be eyes developing. At any rate you'll know for sure here in a day or so. If you get wrigglers then turn off the power filter and run on the sponge filter only, the currents from the power filter will wear out the wrigglers and they die. JMHO but HTH. Good luck!

Joan

wo
01-22-2003, 10:32 AM
Hi David and Joan:

Thanks for your help but the browns eat the eggs today. However I find they are really a pair because I saw black speck in the middle of each egg. I still not find out what is the cause to have them eaten the nearly hatched eggs everytime on the second day. Could it be water condition/ph level/temperature? Ihope they will make it the next time. Thanks for all your help!

larry lob
01-22-2003, 11:42 AM
Hello Wo,

great to hear your question over thier sex answered.
i am a strong beleiver water has a lot to do with many issues on behaviour, yes i would look at the water, what are your perameters?

for example my breeders were in neat R/O and bread great, looked after the eggs and the babies attached. Then out the blue the fought ferociously, after talking to a mate and adjusting the perams they settle great and to date have not fought.

HTH

Larry

wo
01-24-2003, 10:26 PM
Hi Larry:

Thanks. The ph value is 6.7 and the tap water here is soft. Actually they are in love in harmony; they seldom attack each other. I now put the black water in.