PDA

View Full Version : Formalin contra acriflavin

Torben
01-20-2003, 07:05 PM
Hi,

I suppose formalin is dangerous to botias as well as most catfishes??

But I have heard a rumour that acriflavin is just as effective against flukes. Is that true? I thought it only were effective against bacterias.

01-20-2003, 07:50 PM
I have never once heard of Acriflavin being used for flukes.

Were did you here this rummor?

Mike

Torben
01-20-2003, 07:56 PM
It was a chap I have been e-mailing with in Denmark, who wrote me that Dieter Untergasser in a book about fish health suggested this treatment instead of formalin, since formalin will kill plants and some fish species in the tank.

Regards,
Torben

peety
01-20-2003, 08:05 PM
I used acriflavin a couple of weeks ago for oodinium. The fish weren't showing signs but had been exposed. They were apparenly healthy. I used med as per instructions i.e 10 mls 0f 5% solution to 45 litres. 3 of the fish died overnight on day two. I was going to run meds for 5 days as recommended. I pulled last 2 fish but one is still sick. I don't know if it was acriflavine but i would not be inclined to ever use it again. I saw a vet who suggested acriflavine is out dated and newer meds should be tried first.
Prazi worked a dream on flukes for me, so too did fluke tabs....

01-20-2003, 09:54 PM
I agree with your vet most everything has become immune to Acriflavin and had no sucess with oodinium.

Hyde, Prazi, or Flubendazole for flukes. I've used hyde with a few different species of cat fish (never botias) and have not had any problems.

Mike

01-21-2003, 01:36 AM
Good Deal Mike!
I would also like to add that the Acriflavin Did not kill Your Fish.
I have used higher doses then that with out any problems.

Eirther the fish were to weak and dieing Or something else went on.

Clean water Parmeters
PH 7.5
KH 6
gh 7
TEMP 86F

TakeCare,
Cary Gld!
mS 230
ppm120