PDA

View Full Version : discus in the corner

pissydiscus
01-21-2003, 12:29 AM
Just got 4 new discus around 2.5" or so in my 40 gallon tank. I put them in the tank and they all huddled over in the corner with eachother. I turned the light off and covered the tank with a blanket for about 5 hours or so. It was around feeding time for the other fish so I flicked the light on and wait about 15 mins then slowly removed the blanket. 1 broke off from the group but was now in another corner and the other 3 stayed in their corner all huddled still. I'm not too worried about them and figured it's because of the other fish in the tank and them not being used to them and they're in a new enviroment. Anyone ever noticed similar behavior from their new discus?

Carol_Roberts
01-21-2003, 02:18 AM
Yes, new discus may clump in a corner until they feel secure enough to explore the tank. You have your tank around 86 or so? Erm, what other creatures do you have in there with your baby discus?

Carol :heart1:

pissydiscus
01-21-2003, 08:25 AM
Yes, new discus may clump in a corner until they feel secure enough to explore the tank. You have your tank around 86 or so? Erm, what other creatures do you have in there with your baby discus?

Carol :heart1:

I have the tank right around at 85.7F currently. I have the following fish in the tank currently with the 4 discus:

12 - small neon tetras
*5 - small black phantom tetras
*2 - cory's
*1 - pl*co

I tried to get the small phantom tetras out of there before getting the discus in but they kept hiding and apparently didn't want me to catch them so I ended up leaving them in there. I really want to get the black tetras out of there but I'm not going to do anything major till the discus have settled. I don't want to spook them anymore.

01-21-2003, 11:13 AM
Timiddiscus, A Proper Quarantine Regimen is to place the discus --and nothing else in a separate tank during the duration of the quarantine. These fish have likely not seen these tankmates before and are'nt quite sure what to make of it. The immune system is stressed by an environmental change an they can take on something that is not a problem with the other inhabitants that normally would be a non-issue. They need quiet time to settle in and feel secure prior to dumping them in with others.

From utter darkness to switching on the light is also too abrupt a change. They may well could have injured themselves slamming into the sides of the tank. It is also recommended here to have 6-8 discus introduced with each other. HTH, Joe ;)

pissydiscus
01-22-2003, 10:05 AM
All 4 discus are out and about after day 2 and are eating a ton of food. All the tetra's get out of the way from them now. I have the temp just a tad above 86F right now. I was going to leave it there till they got a little older then lower it to somewhere around 84F.

01-22-2003, 03:32 PM
All my tanks are set at 86. I will lower it for breeding but I have found out through trial and error that 86 is an ideal temperature.

IMO
Miles :)

pissydiscus
01-22-2003, 04:22 PM
All my tanks are set at 86. I will lower it for breeding but I have found out through trial and error that 86 is an ideal temperature.

IMO
Miles :)

Sounds like I will leave it at 86 then :)

arpanlib
01-22-2003, 04:45 PM
hi,
i have noticed this kind of behaviour many a times. it is normal for discus to do so. whenever i add new discus to their main tank, i leave the lights off for almost the other morning. i try and get the fish delivered to my place at night, so that no one is there to disturb them.
next morning i go and stand in front of them and do the daily schedule like water changes etc and normal feeding practise. i have had situations that take even 7 days to 1 night for discus to settle in and start feeding and enjoying thenselves.

try adding a handful salt for their stress relief. it works for me.

hope this helps.

arpanlib

01-22-2003, 07:55 PM
Timid, You will undoubtedly lose those neons one by one very soon for they cannot deal with the high temperatures. They do better in 78 degree water. Cardinals is what you should have in there. Joe :-\

pissydiscus
01-22-2003, 08:18 PM
Timid, You will undoubtedly lose those neons one by one very soon for they cannot deal with the high temperatures. They do better in 78 degree water. Cardinals is what you should have in there. Joe :-\

:(

BlueTurquoise
01-22-2003, 08:26 PM
Yes, cardinals are hardier than tetras when it comes to high temperatures

Chong

pissydiscus
01-22-2003, 08:29 PM
I snapped a pic of the 4 little terrors for anyone that cares ... :)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=6421

BTW, I got the 5 phantom black tetras out, tank looks much better without them. It looked too crowded even though everyone appeared happy and swimming around, getting along.