PDA

View Full Version : Help a Newbie, Which Eheim should I get for my 135G tank???

cab5er
01-21-2003, 03:51 AM
hi guys
I currently have a 46 bowfront community tank with lots of different tetras and stuff. Well, I recently just picked up a used 135G tank dimensions 6'x2'x1.5. Any ways I am new to the discus scene just wondering what you all think about the filters I am looking at and hopefully get some opinions. I am looking at getting either the eheim Pro II 2028 or the eheim WET/DRY FILTER 2229. Are these filters all right? Which would you choose and why? also should I run a protein skimmer, will that be beneficial? I was thinking about the prizm skimmer along with one of the eheims? sorry for all the questions but just wanted to do some research and get some opinions before I actually buy my filter. TIA. This is the last step before I can start cycling the tank so please help me out.

;DEric T.

Nate
01-21-2003, 04:02 AM
If you're trying to keep discus...don't waste your time with a cannister filter. Stick to sponge filters and possibly aquaclears. Wet dry filters will work, but why spend that much money? Sponge's do the trick just fine. Protein skimmers have no place in a freshwater tank. Use the money to buy fish.

JMO,
Nate

Jorge las Heras
01-21-2003, 07:06 AM
Sponge filters are OK for bare-bottom tanks (quarantine, medical, breeding), but not for a bowfront community tank with lots of different tetras and stuff.

A Eheim is a very good option, and the 2028 or 2128 (that's termofilter, I have one) will work very well.

I don't like the intervalic (not really w/d) 2229. It can be used only as biological filter, but not mechanical. In planted aquariums w/d are not very good because eliminates too much CO2.

Protein skimmers have no place in a freshwater tank, only work in saltwater.

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-21-2003, 10:08 AM
In my large tanks, and they are bare bottom, I use two hydro sponge five filters and an eheim 2028 with a sponge over the intake.
I like the eheim very much and with a sponge over the intake it can go months with out any cleaning.
Dennis

Don_Lee
01-21-2003, 12:57 PM
Deciding which filtration options to purchase depend on many factors, including convenience, cost, effectiveness.... I have had many types of filters and for me at this time I like a traditional wet/dry filter for effectiveness and ease of upkeep. Canisters have their advantages and disadvantages, I would not tend to go back to them due to the difficulty with upkeep. However, as you can see from comments above by Dennis, that may not be how you would feel and can me minimized.....

I think the key is to be sure of ones goals. If you are definite in your plans for a 135 gallon planted tank, then a canister would be one of several good options. You want to make sure you are turning the total volume of water over at least 3 times per hour, and many advocate 10. In other words, in a 135 gallon tank you want to have a pump that will turn over between 405-1350 gallons per hour approximately. Canisters have lots of bio filtration media room available, and Eheims are generally considered to be the best brand of canister filter IME. Think hard about cleaning that filter, the more difficult it is the less you will want to do it, and the less it will probably get done IME.
Protein skimmers are unnecessary in freshwater tanks IMO.

Don ;D

Don ;D

cab5er
01-21-2003, 04:36 PM
In my large tanks, and they are bare bottom, I use two hydro sponge five filters and an eheim 2028 with a sponge over the intake.
I like the eheim very much and with a sponge over the intake it can go months with out any cleaning.
Dennis

Now, in a planted tank will this same set your using be good or will the sponge filters only be good if I have a bare bottom tank? thanks again

Eric T. ???

BlueTurquoise
01-21-2003, 07:21 PM
I agree with Don, choose the filtration that is best for you and is enough to filter the tank. ie don't get a filter that you will cringe every month when you have to clean it.

Not sure about planted tanks but I would say you should look into an AQ500 which many people here swear by ime. I am buying one for my 50 gal very very soon although I have had a smaller model Aqua Clear for ages.

135gal is a large tank. You may want to look into a trickle sump filter with an overflow. My earlier investigations into wet/dry or trickle filters are that they move the water volume that you are looking for, are easier to clean than cannisters, and cheapest to run (sump pump is the only thing that is powered) for your size tank. It should cost about the same as a large Eheim cannister.

HTH

Chong

chirohorn
01-22-2003, 02:41 PM
If it helps, I've got an Eheim 2217 in my 135 gallon tank. It's for up to 160 gallon aquariums & works well.