PDA

View Full Version : Nipped fins.

Flexy
01-21-2003, 03:16 PM
Any of you guys know what that is, all of my fish has it. It looks like little triangle pieces are missing from the fins. Water is fine. Thanks

Flexy
01-21-2003, 03:21 PM
Here is some pics...

Flexy
01-21-2003, 03:22 PM
Another

Torben
01-21-2003, 03:34 PM
Do you have any other kinds of fish in your tank? It looks like someone took a good bite!

Torben

Flexy
01-21-2003, 03:42 PM
Only 4 discus. They all have the same problem. My friend were I got the fish has the same problem. One of his discus lost whole tail fin. Looks like a shark now.

ChienHsu
01-21-2003, 04:51 PM
Hi!

I had the similar problems with my discus before. Here are my solutions:

1. Treat with high dose table salt (no Iodine) about 1-2 tablespoon /5 gallon.

2 Lower the salt dose to 1tbsp/10gallon and use Maracyn II for their recommand period.

3. maintane the salt dose and treat them with Melafix according to the recommand period. (you can add stress coat to help regrowth the fins)

4. maintain the salf dose and sress coat until the fins are recovered.

later on if you see the problem again, just repeat step 2 , 3 and 4 (if the symptom is light, you can just repeat step 3 and 4.)

No feeding during the step 1 and step 2 since the water will get white cloudy.

I also do 50%WC daily.

Hope these steps can help. Good luck.

Chien

EthanCote.com
01-21-2003, 05:44 PM
Do you see your Discus fighting? I see a piece of driftwood in your tank, are there anything else in the tank that they might accidentally scratch or rub themselves against?

Aside from that, I don't have any explanation to the ripped fins. Normally if its fungus, you will see white around the ripped areas, but yours appear clear.

If its chemical, then all the fins should be affected not just a certain area of the fins.

Only explanation I can see is that your fishes are fighting among each other when yer not there.

Strange indeed. Perhaps set up a web cam when yer not there and see what actually does happen. ;D

Cheers,

Chi.

PS: How often do you change water? And what is your current pH?

Flexy
01-21-2003, 06:03 PM
Water get changed twice a week. Ph is around 7.

EthanCote.com
01-21-2003, 06:16 PM
Hi,

I know you have 4 Discus, but how big of a tank are they in? Also how much and how often do you feed daily? Need to know if this is your problem since you only do WC twice a week. How much do you change?

If its not physical aggression that is causing this then it will have to be the water condition/chemistry that is causing it (most likely poor water).

Cheers,

Chi.

01-21-2003, 06:48 PM
From the looks of your photos I see deterioration of the Dorsal, Tail, Anal fins and hole in the head. They are all secondary symptoms that I would lead me to believe your discus have some type of internal parasite. More then likely capilaria. I would treat with Flubendazole.

Keep up with lots of water changes and offer them a diet high in protein... Live black worms or Beefheart enriched with vitamin B6 and B12.

Flexy
01-21-2003, 06:52 PM
Ok, thanks