PDA

View Full Version : Confused about salt.....

heavyp83
01-21-2003, 08:06 PM
Can someone please clear up what kinds of salt to use for what problems. I've heard to use epsom salt and regular kosher salt, I just don't know when each is appropriate. Thnaks!

Ardan
01-21-2003, 08:27 PM
Hi,
Epsom salt is used as a laxative for fish. First step when bloating (swollen belly) is noticed. 1 to 2 tblsp/10 gal.

Other salt, noniodized table salt, aquarium salt, rock salt etc
is used to help the fish breath better (makes gills work better) at 1 to 2 tblsp/10 gal. This salt can also be used as an mild antibacterial/antifungal at up to 1 tablespoon per 1 gallon water.

hth

Torben
01-22-2003, 09:56 AM
Hi,

I know that regular salt (kosher salt) works on parasites and bacteria and the like, by dehydrating the germs. In the long run fish will also dehydrate and eventually die, but this is long after the germs die.

What I do not know however, is why salt used in fishtanks may not contain iod. What is so dangerous abouth this?

Torben

EthanCote.com
01-22-2003, 12:17 PM
Here is a great link that will shed some light into your question.

1. http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=5811

There was another post that Al made and in it he has a link that talks about the usage of salt. It was a very good read. Unfortunately I was unable to find that post, so perhaps if someone here know which post I was talking about, can you please post it here.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Chi.

EthanCote.com
01-22-2003, 12:29 PM
Kewlness, I was able to find the link.

Go here and read up on everything you wanted to know about salt. It is a great read.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/VM007 (link was provided by Al).

Cheers,

Chi.

Torben
01-22-2003, 02:59 PM
Hi Chi,

According to this article all onecelled protozoans are killed using salt in the right doses, which I was aware of already But since Hexamita is in this categori, will salt have an effect on this as well??

Torben

EthanCote.com
01-22-2003, 03:22 PM
Hi Torben,

I'm sorry but I'm no expert in this field and thus can not give you an answer. Perhaps a strong salt bath might help in the treatment of Hex, but from my reading of the many posts on Simply, I have never heard of using just salt to treat Hex. There are far more superior and more appropriate medication for such disease. Perhaps using salt in conjunction with an appropriate medication can help in curing the disease.

I'm sure someone here more qualify can help answer your question.

In the meantime, I suggest you read this post that talks about Hex:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=5626

There are also great posts made on this subject, just do a bit of searching on the Disease section and you will run into them.

Wish you the best.

Cheers,

Chi.

Torben
01-22-2003, 03:28 PM
Hi Chi,

Well, it's not because I do not know how to treat for hexamita, and I have done some study upon the subject

I just wondered if the salt could be used in slight cases, since it is mentioned in the article, as regard the singlecelled protozoans

Regards,
Torben