PDA

View Full Version : Just a quick drip Quesiton.......?

BigLeague
01-22-2003, 12:38 AM
This one is for you guys with a drip or automatic system on your tanks. Do you need to age your tap water in order to stablize the ph? if so how do you make this work...... fill up large containers of water treat and age..... how do you get it to your tanks? do you use a smallllllllll pump........ gravity, pressure......

let me just give you a example... say my water does not have a stable ph and i have chloramines in the water...... put it in large containers to treat and age...... now how do you run it in to your tank>>>????

thanks for any help

daninthesand
01-24-2003, 12:28 PM
Big league.

I will be setting up a drip system real soon. Just waiting for parts...

I've seen at least two people who do it this way: They connect the drip system to their household water line (cold) and put in a two stage filter to remove chlorine and sediments before the water gets to the tanks. In filter number one is a 1 micron sediment filter and that is followed by a 2 micron carbon filter. This removes the chlorine. If you have chloramines you can't use this system. I don't believe the carbon block will remove the chloramines.

I have thought of using your method of a holding tank and pumping it to the drippers, but I was never able to find out how much pressure I need and therefore what size pump I needed, so the idea kinda got lost in the shuffle. I'd suggest you contact the dripper company where you got the drippers and ask them how much pressure is needed to run the drippers accurately (IE have them drip at their rated flow) and go from there.

HTH
Daniel

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-24-2003, 12:59 PM
Big league
On my drip system I use a large household carbon filter from spectrapure, it was exspensive at $800, but it removes the chlorine and chloramines and thier estimate is it will go 1.5 million gallons with my water before the carbon will need to be replaced at a cost of $200, this is aproxemitely 7 years with my water useage.
From the faucet through the carbon filter into the tanks with household water pressure.
The drippers require 30 to 50 pounds pressure to drip the amount of water they are specified for, since the drippers use 1/4 inch lines any good sump pump with a pressure reducer to 50 pounds and reduced to 1/4 inch will work fine, as I mix water for my breeders in barrels, I have three barrels bulk head fitted together and use the sump pump to run the drippers in the breeding tanks.
Hope this has helped a little
Dennis