PDA

View Full Version : Bacteria in water column?

NickK
01-22-2003, 10:16 AM
Can water from a cycled tank can help cycle a new tank? I have read this can help, but I have also read that there is very little bacteria in the water column.

Thanks,
Nick

joanr
01-22-2003, 01:25 PM
Hi Nick,

No, it won't help much at all. The bacteria live on surfaces, like your filter media or on gravel. If you need to boost a cycling tank you can add some filter media from a cycled filter. But you also risk contamination. If you need a vanilla tank then you should just do the fishless cycle. Most of those products that say they will cycle your tank in half the time are not worth it. Unless some company has marketed something entirely new since the last time I've tried one of those "boosters".

Joan

Ryan
01-22-2003, 05:02 PM
I agree with Joan. I keep extra sponge filters in all of my tanks so that if I need a cycled sponge in an emergency, I just pull one from an existing tank and add it to the new tank. This works well for me. Plus I don't have to remember to "feed" sponges that are cycling in a tank by themselves.

Ryan

NickK
01-23-2003, 07:49 PM
OK, well I just talked to Marineland and they said the bacteria lives in the water column, not just the surface area. This guy didn't have a clue. Regardless, how long should I wait (after adding the Bio-Spira) before I do the massive water change and add discus? They said a massive water change would be disasterous.

Nick

Carol_Roberts
01-23-2003, 10:53 PM
Hi Nick, I read too many posts and I've forgotten what you are doing. Are you doing a fishless cycle and trying to speed the process?

If yes, when nitItes are zero 24 hours after adding ammonia to read 4 or 5 ppm you can do a 90% water change and add discus.

If you have fish in your tank and are NOT doing a fishless cycle ignore my post. ::)

Carol :heart1:

NickK
01-23-2003, 11:11 PM
Carol,
I am doing the fishless cycle, but I added Bio-Spira to the tank last weekend. It worked great, the tank is now cycled, but I want to know if the bacteria has had enough time to stick to the filters/sponges, before I do the 90% w/c to lower the Nitrates.

Nick

Carol_Roberts
01-24-2003, 01:04 AM
Yes. You are removing water filled with nitrAtes.

The bacteria are growing on your sponges, and the tank walls.

Carol :heart1: