PDA

View Full Version : breeding with plants

jamie111
01-22-2003, 05:39 PM
Is it possible for discus to breed in a planted aquarium, if so are there some required steps I need to take

saints27
01-22-2003, 07:06 PM
Jamie
Are there any other fish in the tank?

Jamie

jamie111
01-23-2003, 04:10 AM
Hi Jamie
I am still in the stages of setting up this aquarium and it will be my first discus aquarium, I am not planning on breeding them but if the do happen to spawn it would be good to know what to do with them. But no, there will be no other species of fish in the aquarium

Gnome
01-23-2003, 05:04 AM
Hi Jamie, the one that started this topic,
I'm also wondering if I can breed discus in planted tank, but I think it is very difficult, when it comes to nurture the fry the parents will lose control of the fry, the fry will die if their parents can't pick them up between the gravels since they're too small & fragile, you probably can have a breeding planted tank, maybe w/ potted plants.
I also wonder how discus in nature environment nurture the fry? since they originate from central america river, which is very muddy, and it will be hard for them to locate the fry, since they can't see well plus the sand and the rocks in the river?
anyone?

saints27
01-23-2003, 08:56 PM
Jamie
Seeing that there are no other fish in the tank it is quite possible to have them breed in the planted tank provided the water parameters are ok.
It is alot easier in a bare bottom tank .
As gnome suggested potted plants in the tank will work better,There are many people on this forum that do breed with planted tanks and there is a thread on planted tanks that you should check out.

Jamie

Carol_Roberts
01-23-2003, 10:41 PM
Yes, discus can breed and raise babies in a planted tank with gravel. Women can birth their babies at home too.

The reason I recommend a bare tank is the same reason obstetricians recommend a hospital. Cleaner environment and easier to handle illness or emergency situations.

Carol :heart1: