PDA

View Full Version : does anyone raise there own live food?

DISCUSDADDYSLC
01-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Would like to start some kind of wild food just for personal use. Who and what has anyone do or did? TIA SLCDD

01-24-2003, 12:48 AM
red wigglers(compost worms-they live on newspaper and fruit and vegetable scraps) I'm finally able to feed them after letting them multiply for months(i got short changed when i bought them)...once the fish figure out what they are(which isn't long) they love them...it's really expensive to get CBW's where i live, so this is the next best thing....and they reproduce so if you don't feed them too much they're sortof a constantly renewing food source...

Francisco_Borrero
01-24-2003, 01:10 AM
I grow red wigglers too. Great stuff.

walton321
01-24-2003, 01:51 PM
Hi! Can you or someone post some pictures of a red wiggler culture? I'm interested in growing some too. What kind of maintenance is involved and how long before they multiply?

Thanks
Walton

01-24-2003, 02:01 PM
walton: i actually started typing a bunch and then realized this thread would be much more helpful.. ;)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=3180

lwarctic
01-25-2003, 02:38 AM
I raise both white worms and red wigglers. My opinion is the white worms produce quite a bit faster. I have about 6 cultures of white worms going and 4 good size red wigglers going. The red wigglers look alot like white worms when they are babies but turn red when they get a bit bigger. I feed them when they turn red. They are usually about 1 to 1 1/2 inch long and about the roundness of a round toothpick. This way most of my discus can eat them whole without cutting them up. The white worms are great for the younger discus. I also feed tetra bits, CBW, Hikari Bloodworms, and ON flake foods. I am going to download some photos of my cultures and post in a few minutes.

lwarctic
01-25-2003, 03:12 AM
Here are a couple pictures of my live cultures. I feed them once a week. I give them between 1 to 2 slices of white bread soaked in a bit of milk.

lwarctic
01-25-2003, 03:13 AM
This is my white worm culture. The photo above is the red worm. These white worms multiply very fast.