PDA

View Full Version : SF Bay Area Water adding Chloramine

goldengatediscus
01-24-2003, 03:36 PM
For all you people living in the SF Bay Area, starting in November, the PUC will start using chloramine to disinfect our tap water, so make sure that your dechlorinator neutralizes chloramine.
Brigitte

SF Chronicle January 21, 2003
In an effort to meet future water regulations, the city's Public Utilities Commission will change its disinfectant to chloramine from chlorine in November.

Chloramine is a combination of chlorine and ammonia that lasts longer in water to remove pathogens and produce lower levels of disinfection byproducts.

According to the U.S Environmental Protection Agency, more than one-third of the country's water agencies have already switched to chloramine as a final disinfection agent. San Francisco Bay area agencies include the East Bay Municipal Utility District, San Mateo Water District, Santa Clara Valley Water District, Contra Costa Water District, Alameda County Water District and the Marin Municipal Water District.

01-24-2003, 04:35 PM
Wow I sure hope our area gives that type of notification when they decide to add chloramine. I just make sure my dechlorinator mentions chloramine as well. Lets hope we can trust it.. :-\

I am sure the folks in your area are much obliged, Brigitte... :thumbsup:

Julz :)

Chris-C
01-25-2003, 06:44 PM
Welcome to the prime/amquel club
;D ;D ;D
Chris