PDA

View Full Version : Stinky Water

KEVINT
01-25-2003, 01:42 PM
Could anybody help me, my water smells pretty bad. I do water changes everyday and it still smells, i cut down on the beef heart and it stil smells.
does anybody else have this problem, can somebody help me.
thanks kevin

Carol_Roberts
01-25-2003, 01:49 PM
Hi Kevin:

Yes, I can help you.

What is inside your tank (gravel, wood, decorations)?

What type of filter do you have and when is the last time you opened it up and looked/smelled inside?

Do you have a prefilter sponge on the intake of your filter?

CArol :heart1:

KEVINT
01-25-2003, 03:47 PM
I have a 55 gallon and a 29 gallon. With nothing inside except for fish.
Each tank is run on a aquaclear 300. and has a sponge filter, i do not have a prefilter before the intake. I clean the water every day and the aquaclears every sat. morning.
thanks

Carol_Roberts
01-25-2003, 05:10 PM
Hi Kevin:
Totally stop the beef heart, brine shrimp or other messy food for a week - bloodworms and tetra bits or flakes should be OK.

Take the sponge out of the aqua clear and set aside. Dump the water out of the AC and rinse. Rinse out the sponge in used aquarium water - I only rinse mine about ever 6 weeks since I have a prefilter.

Either make a prefilter from a fine pore sponge OR turn your filter off when you feed.

Wipe down inside the tank including the heater cords. Continue daily water changes of 30%.

Let me know how your tank smells on Wednesday.

Carol :heart1:

01-25-2003, 05:53 PM
Kevin, are you filling your tank straight from the tap, or are you useing water warmed from a hot water heater?
Your smelly water may be that way right out of your tap...
If you are try draining and cleaning your hot water heater

Randy

KEVINT
01-25-2003, 05:54 PM
thanks alot guys for the help

01-27-2003, 02:42 AM
Thou needs to change LOTS of water everyday! 75% a day will get you on track in a few days. Remember what you put in the tank comes out.

Miles

KEVINT
01-29-2003, 06:17 PM
waters doing find thanks alot carol

Carol_Roberts
01-30-2003, 02:04 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: