PDA

View Full Version : fry feeding

KEVINT
01-25-2003, 06:59 PM
this is how i feed my fry, i grind up a hand full of tetra color bits and up them in a salt shaker. it is neater and can save you some time.

01-26-2003, 01:26 AM
Kevin,

The salt shaker is a great idea. Do you use a food processor to grind the bits?

I pulverize different varieties of flake and put it in my Ehiem feeder for feedings while I am at work. Didn't think of grinding bits too.

Another nice thing about the feeder is they associate me with only the black worms.

Works for me.
Julz :)

KEVINT
01-26-2003, 10:22 AM
you can grind the tetra bits in a medicine grinder, or even by hand but that takes awhile.

jim
01-26-2003, 10:37 AM
How old are your fry when you star feeding them this?

Neo

KEVINT
01-26-2003, 12:59 PM
ABOUT THREE WEEKS OLD OR A LITTLE OLDER.

Dennis_Hardenburge
02-01-2003, 12:44 AM
I start tetra bits at two week, but I think my method is out dated, I put them in a baggie and smack them with a hammer.
Some one suggested a coffee grinder, to make them the right size.
I like the salt shaker idea
thanks
Dennis

jouniv
02-01-2003, 03:40 AM
I'm sure Dennis that your fish are fine with Tetra bits at two weeks (and pictures of your fish tell that!) but I would think that they would do even better with a dry food custom-made for juveniles, such as Kyowa. They are higher in protein, and vitamins are better protected in the particles.

Jouni

Dennis_Hardenburge
02-01-2003, 01:52 PM
Hi Jouni
I feed live baby brine shrimp along with the bits untill they are three weeks old, then at three weeks I stop the baby brine and feed formula one and the bits, at four weeks all I feed is my beefheart formula and the bits.
Works for me.
Dennis

yellow_marlboro
08-20-2003, 10:55 AM
thanks for the great idea's guys, i plan on breeding my discus whent hey get older but right now are all too small, so right now am just researching the topic, if you have any fry-feeding recipes for the food i'd love to have them.
:lurk:

and the salt shaker idea is excelent ;D

Thanks, Tim

Rick_May
08-20-2003, 01:58 PM
try a pepper grinder, that might work also

taybelZ
08-30-2003, 06:18 AM
Arh, the simple things are often the ones we forget about.

Nice idea Kevin, i'm going to be using this method as well.

BTW how many times did you try feed tetra bits to your fry before they accepted it? I've been feeding a bit every day for a week now. (they are 3 week old) and they ignore them. Then i just chuck in a BH after an hour of so if them ignoring the bits.

>:(

08-30-2003, 09:04 AM
Tetrabits are a lot better than any other commercial fry food to replace BBS. I just drop the whole pellet and let the water soften them up and they can tear it up by themselves. I can train them to eat in a few days in a large group of fry. If one start nibble on it. The rest will follow. It's harder to train in a smaller group.
Jimmy.

CARY_GLdiscus
08-31-2003, 10:20 AM
Again Jimmy comes out with Fact! ;)