PDA

View Full Version : Major madness! swimbladder infection this might be...

NanDiscus
01-26-2003, 01:59 PM
Hi everyone!

I never thought that something like ths could ever happen to me. Hmm... to my fish.
The brief story is that about three weeks ago one of my fish became a tailstander. About a week later a female lay down on her side. Gave her Sera Bactopur Direct. Did not help. After major w/cs I gave her Metro. 500 mg/50 liters three times with massive w/cs in between. Nothing happened.
This morning I fed her to one of mz Rottweilers. So much about culling techniques.... :)
I was told that Chloramphenicol is the right medication for such nasties. But I am unable to find the dosage. I got the stuff, anyway.
Any really good ideas?
Maybe something else other than Ch.amphenicol?
Thanks!

NanDiscus

Carol_Roberts
01-26-2003, 02:10 PM
I've read of people using penicillin and penicillian like medications such as neomyacin.
Carol :heart1:

tango0806
01-26-2003, 02:24 PM
NanDiscus

I don't know if this will help you but, about two weeks ago due to a major mistake on my part I over dosed my discus with medication. To make it short I nearly killed all 20 discus in my display tank. After 14 days of massive water changes 19 of the Discus recovered fully. The remaining one after lying down for 3 days was removed to a quarantine tank.
I lowered the water down to about 2 inches above his dorsal fin. I treated him for 4 days with 1 tsp epsom salt and 3.8 mg of nifurpirinol, he stood on his tail for the first 3 days on the 4th day he started to get upright, Today is the 6th day and he is almost back to normal. I believe that the anti-biotic (nifurpirinol) helped quite a bit.

John