PDA

View Full Version : What tank lights?

pissydiscus
01-26-2003, 11:45 PM
What tank lights do you guys usually use. I've noticed some really bright colors in most of the pictures I've seen on this site. I'm trying to find out which lights everyone uses to bring out the colors of the discus better.

01-27-2003, 02:22 AM
When ya found out let me know also.

Miles

heavyp83
01-27-2003, 02:44 AM
I use one Hagen power-glo and one Hagen aqua-glo. This gives me a good color mix and really brings out the blues, I'd like a bulb that is better for reds but I don't know of one. ;D

Jeff
01-27-2003, 02:51 AM
I like the Coralife 50/50s. They are good for reds. :)

Carol_Roberts
01-27-2003, 12:00 PM
GE Aqua Rays.

I "borrow" lights off of other tanks for extra lighting when I take pictures. Floor lamps work nice too ;)

Carol :heart1:

Francisco_Borrero
01-27-2003, 12:05 PM
Home Depot/WalMart GE Chroma 50 (=GE sunshine) for $5.96, combined with anybrand coolwhite (often less than $2) work well for me. I don't have plants in there, but Chroma 50's are decent plant lights.
This is a somewhat recent pic using those lights.

Francisco_Borrero
01-27-2003, 12:10 PM
actually that is not the picture I meant to paste. (The red heckel in the lower center is way fin-shredded and is recovering now, I didn't want to show it until cured). Hiowever, it does use the same lights...
What I wanted to show is,

01-27-2003, 12:47 PM
Lots of good information.

Miles

pissydiscus
01-27-2003, 06:17 PM
Looks good guys, I really like the ge pics with the heckles and for less than 10 bucks you can't really go wrong, I think I'm going to look into getting two of those coralife 50/50's though to see if I like them.

keno
01-27-2003, 06:45 PM
i just took out the coral life 50-50's I thought they showed way too much red in my fish, switced to the GE aqua rays. I like them much better.

Ken

Wahter
01-27-2003, 06:49 PM
I like the ZooMed Ultra Sun's - gives a nice white light, whereas some of the 5000ēK lights (like the GE sunshine/ Chroma 50) seem a bit 'green to me'. Interpet's Tritons will definitely emphasize the red colors, but they are pricey for standard fluorescent lighting. The Hagen Aquaglow will also emphasize the reds.

daninthesand
01-27-2003, 07:04 PM
Exactly. WHAT tank lights?

I use one, double 4 foot fluorescent fixture in my fish room. It is mounted to the ceiling and it lights all the tanks in the room. There is also a small 15 watt table lamp which lights the room at night when the fluorescent is off. That's it. No other lights in the room.

There are four 50 gallon tanks and two 35's. There is room for two more 35's and the new rack can hold 3 more 50's. I do not intend to put any other lights in the room.

What tank lights? ;D

pissydiscus
01-27-2003, 11:58 PM
Anyone have pics of their tanks with the coralife 50/50's ?

pissydiscus
01-28-2003, 01:57 AM
Home Depot/WalMart GE Chroma 50 (=GE sunshine) for $5.96, combined with anybrand coolwhite (often less than $2) work well for me. I don't have plants in there, but Chroma 50's are decent plant lights.
This is a somewhat recent pic using those lights.

Found one problem, I went to home depot they didn't even have the light. I went to wal mart and they had the light but not a 24" T8 like I need. It looks like the chroma 50's are 5,000 K so I may just look somewhere else for a 24" T8 5,000K . I think home depot has phillips ones in the size I need, I will have to go back there. I didn't even look at the phillips because I was looking for this specific brand.

01-28-2003, 02:38 AM
Perfecto Lamps The BEST for All colors and Photos
Ideal for Showrooms.

HTH
TakeCare
Cary Gld!

Francisco_Borrero
01-28-2003, 11:07 AM
Timmidiscus:

You are right, I failed to point out that GE Sunshine (Chroma 50) only comes in T-12 configuration. T-12's can be used on any regular aquarium light fixture, but not viceversa. Also this bulb only comes in 15", 20" and 48" (no 3footers, unfortunately).
And you are right, I also went yesterday to HomeDepot, and I regret that they stopped carrying this bulb, now have a Philips "equivalent" which I don't like. WalMart still sells it, juist that the store you went to was out of that size.
Perfecto's are indeed great bulbs, but they costs almost 3 times as much. Somebody suggested Triton's by Interpet.....wonderful bulb, but at almost 20 bucks each...not me.
JMO, Francisco.

keno
01-28-2003, 11:35 AM
anyone know the specs on the perfecto bulbs?

pissydiscus
01-28-2003, 09:07 PM
Searched all over town for a stupid 24" T8 50/50 coralife, everyone said that they don't make a 24" T8 coralife 50/50 ... http://www.hellolights.com/24600mm50flu.html looks like the LFS's and petco's and petsmarts are wrong. I tried telling them they made one but they wouldn't listen or didn't understand what the heck I was talking about... Looks like a online order is going to have to be made and I don't even know if I like the light!!!!!

RAWesolowski
01-28-2003, 10:31 PM
Timi,

Why don't you send CoralLife an e-mail about your dilemma? They may offer you a sample! If not, they may be able to provide with the name of retailer in your area.

yogi
01-28-2003, 10:35 PM
Here are some links if you feel like geting a headache over bulbs. http://www.aquabotanic.com/lightcompare.htm or http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637

In short the nicest brightest bulb that shows the truest colors is the Penn Plax Ultra tri-lux. It's also hard to find and expensive. The Sylvania gro-lux (not the wide spectrum version) is almost identical to the perfecto bulb. The Triton and the GE Aqua Rays fresh/salt are almost identical except the GE is half the price of the Triton. They are enhanced versions of the Perfecto bulb. Meaning almost the same wavelengths except the Triton and GE are brighter and stronger and use tri phosphors. I use GE aqua rays fresh/salt on my tanks.

pissydiscus
01-30-2003, 12:30 AM
Timi,

Why don't you send CoralLife an e-mail about your dilemma? They may offer you a sample! If not, they may be able to provide with the name of retailer in your area.

Do you happen to know their www site?