PDA

View Full Version : What is the best quick sinking food??

Don_Lee
01-27-2003, 12:57 AM
I have a wet/dry filter with an overflow, so anything floating quickly gets sucked away...anybody have any suggestions? I need a quicker sinking pellet food, my tetra bits are getting swallowed up quickly even after presoaking.

TIA,

Don

01-27-2003, 01:43 AM
Hi Don

I have 1 tank with the same setup.
Wet/dry filter with a overflow.

I use Ever Nature from Haifeng (half Floating) Discus and tropical Fish Food. They go nuts for them.
Even the wild eat them.
I soak them a bit in tank water before I feed them and then the half floating turns straight into No floating hehe.
I don’t feed to often pellets though so I would not know the effect of the food if there is any.(color or similar)

They came with the purchase of fish so I haven’t looked for them in a store. I have looked up there website and e-mailed them and they told me I could order direct from them.
The phone# was 1-800-829-9768 and the Lady’s name was Maria if I recall right.
I don’t have the web page sorry.( I think was something like Haifeng.com)

HTH Ronald

hunterbeav
01-27-2003, 02:00 AM
Don I use Hikari Discus red color enhancer pellets. They sink to the bottom and the fish love them. www.thatpetplace.com has them the cheapest I've found and I've never had a problem with there shipping. Jim & Diane :)

gary1218
01-27-2003, 08:16 AM
CBWs sink right away.

I have another suggestion for you. I have the same set up as you and experienced the same problem. Here's what I do. Plug your filter pump into an appliance timer. Remove all the on/off pegs except for one ON peg. When you go to feed turn the filter off. Turn the dial face on the timer till the ON peg is right up against the trigger in the timer that will turn it back on. It takes about 15-20 to trip the trigger back on. By that time the food has had a chance to sink to the bottom.

GARY

01-27-2003, 09:40 AM
Hey Don....

I've been using a pelleted food called New Life Spectrum "Marine Fish Formula" ..... hormone-free color enhancing food. It's a small pellet and it falls pretty quick ;)

I don't know how good this food is for fresh water fish, I haven't seen any ill effects in my Discus and they all seem to like it ;)

Guaranteed Analysis:
34% protein
5% fat
5% fiber
9% ash
10% moisture
8000 IU/KG Vitamin A
450 IU/KG Vitamin D
200 IU/KG Vitamin E

Beth

Francisco_Borrero
01-27-2003, 11:50 AM
Hi Don:

I find that Tetra Colorbits, Azoo (red and blue) and Jehmco's better sinking bits all sink nicely. Colorbits a little slower, the other two almost inmediately without pre-soaking.
I actually do something similar to what Gary suggests, but I actually like his method better. First, I have made floating feeding rings out of flexible hose, that float and are attached to the edge of the tank via dental floss. They are only put in when feeding dry foods, otherwise hang outside the tank, thus dry. When feeding dry food, I first turn the filters off (they are on Leviton on/off toggle switches), place the ring inside, and put the food there; it sinks fairly quick, but whatever doesn't sink, doesn't float away beyond the ring. 15 minutes later, take ring out and turn filters on again.
I have not yet once forgotten to turn filters on again in a discus tank, but I did in a tankbuster tank, and caused the loss of a 14 inch Distichodus lussuoso that I loved. Bummer and my fault. The method suggested by Gary does the same good as mine, but involves no risk. I like it !!!
HTH. Cheers, Francisco.

Lynn
01-27-2003, 01:29 PM
The fastest sinking pellet that I have tried is New Life Spectrum Discus formula.
HTH
;DLynn

allan_mark76
01-27-2003, 03:53 PM
Tetra bits all the way..sinks real slow and doesn't leave a mess.

A-

Tyler
01-27-2003, 04:38 PM
Don,
I agree with Jim, i have found those Hikari Discus Red pellets quick sinking, and the fish seem to like them.

Tyler

BlueTurquoise
01-27-2003, 08:38 PM
Simple idea for you Don!

just get a small container, fill it with some tank water, drop in some tetra bits, wait about 1 min, and they are the best quick sinking food!

I used to do that to make sure that my fish would not get bloated from dry foods.

HTH
Chong :thumbsup:

Carol_Roberts
01-27-2003, 08:57 PM
I'm lazy. I hold the tetra bits in my hand under water for 15 seconds and slowly open my hand . . .
Carol :heart1:

BlueTurquoise
01-27-2003, 08:58 PM
That's good too! LOL

Chong

01-27-2003, 09:08 PM
I use Hikari Discus Red pellets too. They are much softer, even when dry, then most pellets and sink quickly. I've been supplying them to Cary for the last couple months so I know he goes through a lot of them lately.

Dave

Don_Lee
01-27-2003, 11:23 PM
Thanks All!

Don ;D

Dennis_Hardenburge
01-27-2003, 11:23 PM
I use a lot of tetra bits and I never soak them just throw em in the tank, even smashed up ones for fry and I have never had a Discus suffer a bloat problem from them.
Dennis

01-28-2003, 02:57 AM
Hikari Discus red color enhancer pellets

slicksta
01-29-2003, 10:58 PM
I use a feeding ring with my wet/dry......no need to shut the filter off. works excellent with all foods.....even flake. Cheap to buy or make out of any floating plastic...............

Don_Lee
01-29-2003, 11:18 PM
Hmmm, a feeding ring?? I will have to check that out.

Thanks again all!

Don ;D