PDA

View Full Version : Nitrite in Tap Water

Karen
01-27-2003, 03:01 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have only just discovered this website and I must say "I'm wrapped". There was enough info to keep me on the net all day + half the night and there is still more to look through. Great site!

I've just started keeping Discus. I aquired my first couple last June and then another couple about 1 month after that. They were all bought from the LFS so they might not be perfect in colour or shape (in fact 2 have not much colour and 1 other not much shape) all sold under the banner of "Blue Turquoise" but I love them just the same and I have to start somewhere. I have so many things that I want to ask but I will start with the one that concerns me most at the moment.

My tap water:
PH=8, KH=1 or less, GH=1 or less Ammonia=0 but the Nitrite=5+

Tank water:
PH=7, KH=2, GH=3, Ammonia=0 and the Nitrite=0

I have always used straight tap water for the water changes without aging (didn't know any better until this site). Have just started to use Neutral Regulator to bring the PH down and was told to invest in Discus buffer as well to help correct it even further. I have also been told and have just started to use aqua-serene for a water conditioner. I don't know if all this is correct or not. But my main concern now is that the Nitrite in my tap water=5+. Apparently they have re-routed the water through different pipes to do some work and now when I do WCs I don't know whether to put the water in and let the bacteria in the tank do its work or whether this could be harmful. Would aging the water for 24 hours will help this or ?.

So far they don't seem to be too stressed and any information would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Karen

Ardan
01-27-2003, 07:18 AM
Hi,
Nitrite can stress the fish some depending on how lg the wc's are.
You might consider aging the water in a barrel for 24 hrs and using a filter in the barrel that has cycled (has the good bacteria in it already. This bacteria will convert the nitrite to less harmful nitrate. then the fish will not be stressed by wc's.

I change 50% water / day. the fish seem to like it and do well. Aging also stabalizes the ph. I see there is a difference between your tap water and tank water. Sometimes this stresses the fish too

hth

Carol_Roberts
01-27-2003, 10:11 PM
You have nitrIte in city water? Are you sure it isn't nitrAte?
Carol :heart1:

BlueTurquoise
01-28-2003, 02:09 AM
Hi Karen,

Welcome to Simply Discus! cool anotehr Aussie member hehehe welcome to elite club ;)

Melbourne water is almost the same as Sydney water. Are you sure it is Nitrite and not Nitrate? I measure 0 Nitrites in Sydney... if it really is Nitrite then you may have to do what Ardan suggests and use a cycled filter to run in your storage water overnight.

Also I would be careful with Seachem discus buffer and other ph lowering chemicals. Our water has a very low buffering capacity and a very small amount of buffer could severely lower the PH of the water. My advice would be to stick with regular aged tap water. Your fish sound like they are used to ph in the 7's anyway but if they aren't they will adjust quite easily. The majority of discus people in Melbourne that I know of don't do anything to their water except store it.

On the subject of water agers like Prime, Aquasonic Chlormon etc, I searched for about 10 mins and foudn the water quality reports (here is the link up it depends on your area as VIC water is under 3 companies http://www.melbournewater.com.au/system/mainFrameset.asp?path=/about_us/our_customers/our_customers.asp) Anyway there is no mention of the presence of Chloromine (unlike Sydney), that means that if you age your water in a storage container over night it will dissipate all the chlorine in the water and there is no need for other water conditioners to be added.

I hope that helps!
Chong

Karen
01-28-2003, 02:23 AM
Hi Carol,

As unbelievable as it might sound, it is defenitely NitrIte. The LFS has also been looking into it and the latest is the water supplier is hoping this will be fixed in a month. Because of sewage works they have re-routed the water, etc and it's been like this now for at least 11/2 months.

I found out the hard way. When the tank was first set up it had an undergravel filter (at that stage I did not know what fish I wanted and the tank with everything was a birthday pressy). After learning that UGs are not a good thing I decided to get rid of it. To cut a long story short I was rather stupid and because the water has always been previously OK I did not check it before I did a total water change. With the help of a product called "Cycle" and putting my fish elsewhere for a few days I managed to ride it out. But NEVER, NEVER again will I do any water changes without first checking.

I only change about 10-15% per day at the moment as this doesn't seem to have much affect on the overall condition of the tank. But I will now go out and get everything I need including filter so that the water can be aged from now on.

Karen

Karen
01-28-2003, 02:29 AM
Hi Chong,

Thanks for that, and as I mentioned I will do what Ardan suggests and have already started gathering everything I need. It's Yarra Valley Water that's the culprit up here in the hills. Cockatoo to be exact. Between that and waiting for the next bushfire - there is no lack of excitment.

Karen

BlueTurquoise
01-28-2003, 10:54 PM
LOL we can smell the smoke from here, believe me!

I hope the fired aren't too close to your area. Maybe that's a factor as to why the water is high in Nitrites... Anyway I am sure if you filter it, things should be fine. Just do some experiments and test, test, test. It's te only way you can be sure.

Good luck!

hmm I am wondering if any other discus people in VIC are aware of these tap water changes...

Chong

Karen
01-30-2003, 03:45 AM
Hi Chong,

The fires haven't reached these hills as yet but living in Cockatoo (it's in the Dandenongs) it is always a danger - in fact a very high danger. So I have a carrying tank ready just in case - fill her up, put my fish in and out. It might stress them a bit, but surely better than boiling.

The water problem is localised, I've tested samples from other areas including just down the road at Emerald. And it is fine.

Anyway I have now purchased a new heater, pump and sponge filter. The sponge filter has gone in the established tank but I'm not sure on how long to leave it in the tank before it will be ready to help with the aging process. I'm getting another one tomorrow so that there will always be one in the tank and one in the drum or more accurately rubbish bin (brand new of course) of water.

Here's hoping,

Karen