PDA

View Full Version : Bad Rock!!!!

Flexy
01-28-2003, 01:12 PM
I been trying to lower my PH for 2 month with peat and acids with no results at all. Now I have solved a problem. I have removed big rock from my tank which was making my water hard.

To test if you rocks are safe, put some acid on it and see if it will react. I had bubbles forming and shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... After removing it Ph have droped drastically.

Ralph
01-28-2003, 01:33 PM
Sounds like you were swimming upstream. Good problem solving.

How much was it affecting the pH? Do you know what kind of rock it is?

Flexy
01-28-2003, 01:37 PM
It was brown one with some white layers in the middle. Rock had lots of layers and it looked like it was covered in rust. It kept the ph at 7.5 went down to 6.0 now.

Ralph
01-28-2003, 01:44 PM
That is a major difference, hope your fish didn't go into shock with the change. I would never have guessed that a rock would make that much difference.

Flexy
01-28-2003, 02:17 PM
Fish is fine. That happaned in like 2 days.

01-28-2003, 06:12 PM
Probably was limestone. Joe

saints27
01-28-2003, 08:55 PM
Did you notice a change in your gH as well?

Jamie

Flexy
01-29-2003, 02:48 AM
I am not sure about that. Didn't take any readings.

Francisco_Borrero
01-29-2003, 10:03 AM
That rock sounds like what they call holey rock, and it is limestone. It will definitely leach stuff out.
Good detective work.
Cheers, Francisco.

01-29-2003, 11:19 AM
Holey Rock batman! ;D

Discus_Hans
01-29-2003, 12:16 PM
hmmmmmmm strange when I was a little kid (longggggggggggggggggggggg time ago) and had my first tank, I didn't know anything about Gh, Kh, Ph, CO2, RO, etc. in other woords all the things most people need now to keep a simple Discus alive. But first thing I learned was the acid on rocks/stone test. Funny now it looks like Flexy invented the wheel again :) :) :) Hans.

01-29-2003, 01:16 PM
Hans, C'mon Lad, When you and I arrived on the scene in 954 BC,-- they hadn't invented kids as yet! Both being relics from the stone age, we knew plenty of our surroundings. 8)It was written on our cave condominium walls! I was hit quite often by the layered rock and such at the cave entrance. I feel it hasn't affected me at all. The Frontal Lobotomy got rid of the voices! My mother chased away the Wooly Mammoth with what was the precurser to Draino and walla, fizzy rocks! A more contemporary example is that of Jimi Hendrix. He would still be as alive as the archaic Mick Jagger today had he only known. He would have never attempted the blotter acid in the corner of his eye, because he would have known it was not good when his pupils fizzed--had he been an Aquarist! Everyone knows, pupils are of a rock composition---Geeeez, I learned that in the Ice Age! Instead HE Fizzed Out! Next thread --Had Elvis only known about Detritus poisoning caused by the toilet backup! :o

You and I as a team can tear down the Berlin Wall of Myth and Misconceptions! Setting the record straight with helpful but oftentimes puzzling analogies! Your public servant,,Joe :

Ralph
01-29-2003, 02:47 PM
I'm always interested in the twists and turns that a thread can take. I don't remember one though that went from fish to Elvis's bowel problems.

Thanks, I needed a laugh.

Discus_Hans
01-29-2003, 03:18 PM
Now friends you can see Joe is even older as me, ha ha ha ha, Hans.

SnowCichlid
01-29-2003, 04:00 PM
as far as things go when putting in my aquarium i always make sure they are safe first ... you can boil things in water and let stay there for a while ... this usually solves the problems unless you can see that the rock or item still has problems tehn i would just sratch that idea and find something else

slicksta
01-29-2003, 11:19 PM
......sounds like the stones you find at the pet chains....Tufa stone...I think the name is.....basically limestone....and a definite pH raiser....great for an African cichlid tank.....NG for discus...