PDA

View Full Version : PH Meters

alsbeth
01-28-2003, 01:19 PM
Hi there, looking to buy a ph & tds meters,just wonder peoples opinions on pinpoint and Hanna and Trans instruments . Cheers Alsbeth

Jeff
01-28-2003, 01:34 PM
I have a pinpoint and love it. You need to calibrate it monthly to keep it accurate. :)

01-28-2003, 01:44 PM
Alsbeth,
I use a PHep by HANNA. From what I can tell it is accurate. The only downfall to it is the temperature takes a few minutes to be exact. Have only calibrated it once.

HTH
Miles

Aquatic_Design
01-28-2003, 01:58 PM
Alsbeth,
I have two pinpoint ph meters in the tanks all the time. I also keep a third to double check. They have been completely accurate. I also have a pinpoint conductivity meter that I like very much.
HTH
Donna :)

keno
01-28-2003, 02:37 PM
Ive used pinpoint for 5 years no problems.

Ken

01-28-2003, 06:11 PM
I prefer the hanna. I had three pinpoint ph meters and all three arrived at different ph values from the same glass of water. They are delicate in that when not using the 9 volt battery ( inaccurate ) the adapter is attached to two very thin wires that tend to depart from the body. Also, I have had to replace the probes every nine months as they would not hold calibration. $45 each time. If probe dries out , another $45.

For $90, from www.customaquatics.com I purchased Hanna Prontos' The features are : A blinking red light that can be adjusted to where one would feel is a cautionary setting and viewed from a distance. No 9 volt battery--just a transformer that is wired. longer leads allowing the distance between tanks to be further apart before unplugging. hard impact resistant plastic. If the probe dries out--just put in calibration fluid for an hour or so--good to go! Have had the units for 6 years and all three calibrate and read the same from the glass of water ( a Plus ) have not had to purchase another probe yet. I have Tunze Conductivity meter ( This is not your fathers Oldsmobile ) It cost $265 --definitely not shallow pockets. I use this alot and was making an investment. IMO, a conductivity meter is more important than a ph meter. I also have a Hanna TDS meter. This is used by me to check the product water from my RO. This will indicate when the prefilters need changing or when the DI resins in back of the RO need changing. I have a port with a valve between the RO and DI unit. Joe ;)

01-28-2003, 08:35 PM
Joe,
Thanks for the information!

Miles ;)

01-28-2003, 11:53 PM
Their handheld TDS meter can be had for $24.99USD. Thats around $28,472 In Canadian!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just a little poke , April,

Joe ;D

roger
01-29-2003, 01:12 PM
If you look in the for sale section I think you will find tjudy talking about a group order for a combo meter, PH and TDS for about 119. Its a Hanna ...

All things being equal I never trust anything all the time especially since the batterys in my last meter started gonig bad and the pH went up by 1 when that happened.

Peace,
Roger

01-29-2003, 01:29 PM
Roger, I do not trust multifunction apparati. Just me. I don't thisnk they are as reliable as something with singular mode operation. Joe

alsbeth
01-29-2003, 03:59 PM
Thanks everyone for their help. Alsbeth

Liz_Streithorst
01-29-2003, 05:00 PM
Joe,

Would you explain why you feel that such a fancy-dancy conductivity meter is important? What does it tell you that my cheepo Hannah TDS meter doesn't tell me. (sorry if I'm too thick to figure it out for myself)

Liz

fcdiscus
01-29-2003, 05:26 PM
Ahhh Joe! I went for one of those multifunction toys. I think it sounds cool! Frank ;) :D

Jason
01-29-2003, 06:33 PM
I just opened and calibrated 6 Hanna combo meters,

all had the same readings with the same samples, except temp of course.

black rat
01-29-2003, 06:45 PM
Alsbeth
I got the pinpoint ph -no problems at all with it

RandalB
01-29-2003, 09:43 PM
I use an aqarium pharmecuticals test kit (liquid reagent) that I got from petsmart for $5.99. Close enough for me.....

My pH stays about the same no matter what due to the amount of w/c's I do. I just don't feel the pH is that important for raising discus or breeding them for that matter. (and I can get pH meters at wholesale....so you can see how little I think pH matters)

I feel that we always run the risk of making things too complicated with the technology that's available.......

Just my 0.02,
RandalB

slicksta
01-29-2003, 11:11 PM
...............I agree with RandalB
and I rarely use my liquid test......playing with pH is more trouble than it's worth.....so then it doesn't matter what it is.....